GPS

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
Mitteau
Expert

GPS

Post by Mitteau »

Hello, everybody !
I am interested in GPS use for crazyflie. I bought UBLOX MAX-M8C-0-02 but did not succeed yet to be able to get correct functionning.
Furthermore, I did neither find GPS tab in last version (2017-04) of python client nor gps branch in master branch. So I understand I have to use development branch, is that correct ? Have you any help to give me ?
friendly yours...
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: GPS

Post by tobias »

Hi,

The GPS tab, it was using open-street-map and died when mapquest stopped making free mapping tiles available. Because of this and that we have not seen much interest in the GPS tab not much has happened. If you would like to give it a shot that would be great because as of now we don't have any tome to spend on it.

These is also a long thread about GPS development here but it has been a while sine it was updated.
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

I am beginning to have a look at the problem. Just wait a while... Looks hard...
Jean-Claude
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

Hello !
My primary goal is to obtain geographical coordinates on GPS tab. Nothing more but not so easy for me.
The steps are:
1/ obtain GPS tab in main gui, using Qt5 library,
2/ display the values on the tab,
3/ display a map, in a passive way, no interaction with GPS data.
All this is now correct. But I did not succeed yet to obtain the 4th step : get a fix from the GPS receiver and the corresponding data. Gui client obtain only 0 latitude, 0 longitude, 0 height(MSL), 0 satellites, etc...
I used technical information from Ublox.
Despite the fact that Jackemoore's gtgps-9 branch is dedicated to Titan receiver, I used it to obtain more information on the console and I fix GPIO pins in gtgps.c with this code in
DeckDriver gtgps_deck with:
.usedPeriph = 0,
.usedGpio = DECK_GPIO_TX1 | DECK_GPIO_RX1,
... I probably miss something.
But no fix after 5 minutes.
Next step will be to write red an blue circles on the map...
My work is now on Github, under the name "Mitteau".
Sincerely
Jean-Claude
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Nice work so far!

Getting a signal good enough is hard. Is that a module with a chip antenna because we have had bad experience with chip antennas? Any possibility to attach a patch antenna?
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

Yes, it's a chip antenna. Perhaps also too close from crazyflie circuits ? Only 15mm.
I have a Garmin sport watch which fix satellites without problems, I think it is a chip antenna. I have not open the watch.
I am making a special tab too dialog with STM32 through radio link.
Jean-Claude
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The chip antenna and it's location is most likely the problem. Try to separate the GPS module from the CF2, e.g. by adding wires between.
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

I'll test it. But my CF2 is out of service, I'm waiting a new one.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I'll test it. But my CF2 is out of service
Doesn't sound good, something we can help you fix?
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

Thank you, but it's a hardware problem, due to frequent crashes. I actually bought a new one cf2...