Qi Charger Deck won't charge when Crazyflie is on

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
drkenlai
Beginner

Qi Charger Deck won't charge when Crazyflie is on

Post by drkenlai »

Hi,

I have just bought the Qi Charger Deck, the deck works fine with my Qi charger, it can charge my Crazyflie when the Crazyflie is off.

However, if I turn on the Crazyflie, it will stop charging after be charged for about 30s.

Any clue why is that? Just wondering if there is any code in power management controlling the wireless charing process?

Would appreciate if anyone can provide advice on this issue.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Qi Charger Deck won't charge when Crazyflie is on

Post by tobias »

It could be a current limit in your Qi charger that kicks in. When the CF2 is turned off the charging limit is set to 100mA but when it is turned on it switches to 500mA. The nRF51 controls it and it is set here.
drkenlai
Beginner

Post by drkenlai »

Hi tobias, thanks for your prompt reply. I'm using this Qi Charger, which should be able to provide 1000mA without any issue.

I also measured the battery voltage before and after the wirelessly charging (when crazyflie is switched off) and it showed that it did charged the battery.

I'm just wondering if you are able to wirelessly charge the Crazyflie when it is on? If you can, i would appreciate if you can let me know which Qi charger is that, if not, I may then try to look into the power management code to find out why.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The wireless charging uses the VUSB, which is the same as when you connect a USB cable, when charging. I guess connecting a USB cable works as expected?

Is the coil on the Qi-deck close enough to the charging pad. This effects the possible charge current. You might have to cut the plastic legs on the motor mounts to get it close enough, or mount the battery underneath the CF2.

Currently for the CF2 to charge with full current it needs to be on, but can be changed in PM code.

There is a possibility to check the charging current looking at the logging variable, chargeCurrent.