Buzzerdeck not working

Post here to get support
Konstantin
Beginner

Buzzerdeck not working

Post by Konstantin »

Greetings CF-Team,

I just unpacked a new Buzzerdeck (from exptech), which arrived together with a new LED-ring. I installed both on my CF. The LED-ring does what it is supposed to do, but there is no reaction from the buzzer deck. I went through the "getting started with the buzzer deck" tutorial and tried to do the factory test (I set sound->effect to 1), but I didn't get sound. Flashed the firmware from the new release (9.2016), removed the LED-ring, installed the Buzzer on top, then on the buttom of the CF, but nothing had an effect either.
Final question: Did I miss something to create a sound? :? Is there a way to check the functionality of the deck (e.g. by console)?
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Buzzerdeck not working

Post by marcus »

Hi!

Could you check if the board is detected? In the console you should see a printout that looks like this:

Code: Select all

DECK_INFO: Found 2 deck memories.
DECK_CORE: 2 deck enumerated
Could you paste the complete console output?
Konstantin
Beginner

Post by Konstantin »

Hi, thx for the fast reply =)

the console output is:
DECK_INFO: Found 1 deck memory.
DECK_CORE: 1 deck enumerated
EEPROM: I2C connection [OK].
AK8963: Self test [OK].
SYS: Free heap: 12840 bytes

Edit: The CF config is: CF with long pins, batteryholder on top, buzzer deck on bottom

Edit2: With both decks attached, the outout is:
es.
DECK_CORE: 2 deck enumerated
EEPROM: I2C connection [OK].
AK8963: Self test [OK].
SYS: Free heap: 12688 bytes
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

I just tried the 2016.09 firmware release and it's working like it should with the Buzzer deck. From the log you pasted the board is being detected which means you should hear a start-up sound and a calibration sound when you start the Crazyflie. So it looks like there might be something with the hardware.

Could you upload a picture of the board so it's possible to see the soldering and markings on the buzzer?
Konstantin
Beginner

Post by Konstantin »

Sure, here they are. I hope, everything important is shown.
Attachments
IMG_20160928_110315.jpg
IMG_20160928_110305.jpg
IMG_20160928_110259.jpg
IMG_20160928_105430.jpg
IMG_20160928_105436.jpg
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

To me it sounds like the buzzer is broken then, which is kind of strange as it is a robust part. Could you send an email to support(at)bitcraze.io and we will arrange a replacement board for you.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

The buzzer uses the two marked pins in the photo. Could you check so that these have proper contact with the expansion connector?
Buzzer PWM pins
Buzzer PWM pins
Konstantin
Beginner

Post by Konstantin »

Thank you very much! I'll send a mail after finishing this post =)

@marcus: I checked the pins and their contact to the board. These have a proper connection. But I got another idea to check the integrity of the buzzer: If I got that right, the 2 pins should be connected by the piezobuzzer. I checked this with a gauge. It seems like these pins are not connected to each other. Furthermore I checked, if there is a connection between the 2 big soldered points of the buzzer. But these don't have an electronic connection on this board, too. Is this an indication for a broken buzzer?