Enabling Altitude Hold

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
nanobot9000
Beginner

Enabling Altitude Hold

Post by nanobot9000 »

Just a quick question about using altitude hold. Based on this wiki article: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:crazy ... itude_hold

It looks like all I need to do is set a button in the interface configuration to program the button on my PS3 controller. Do I need to enable any flags in the code and reflash the firmware?

Thanks for any tips!
PierreD
Beginner

Re: Enabling Altitude Hold

Post by PierreD »

Hi !
Yep, you just need to map the button if it's not already done.
If I remember right, it should be already mapped on R1 button.

With the last firmware you don't need to modify anything in order to get the hover mode working.
nanobot9000
Beginner

Post by nanobot9000 »

Thanks! I thought that was the case and that I had read that somewhere, but wanted to be certain. I appreciate the response.
PierreD
Beginner

Post by PierreD »

You're welcome, enjoy the flight! ;)

Altough, if you find that the althold mode is not quite stable (like huge drop or rise etc), you can try to put a piece of foam under the crazyflie in order to cover the barometer.
It seems to improve the values measured by the barometer (less "wind" effects).

I've made it a few days ago but I didn't use this mode a lot so I'm not quiet sure whether it is a real effect or a placebo one.

This idea came from Arnaud (here).
Just like him I used a piece of foam from the box, and I fixed it with an elastic.
nanobot9000
Beginner

Post by nanobot9000 »

Thanks for the reply. I did notice the huge drops and rises and was about to comment on that. I will definitely give the foam addition a shot. I have also been talking with Arnaud about adding the Alt Hold feature to the iOS app :D
PierreD
Beginner

Post by PierreD »

It's true that althold would be a huge improvement for mobile phone since flying the crazyflie with them is really hard.

But since the packet used to send set-points is about to change, it would be better to wait and then modify the apps.
Because at this time, the way althold is handled in the python client seems pretty hackish to me.

EDIT :
About the crazyflie's behavior when using althold, you can also modify the PID values with the Param menu into the client !
I've made it and if I remember well, I found that it was a bit more stable by increasing P and I. Or at least more reactive, which seemed to avoid too huge drop or rise.. Not quite sure of that however.
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

Altitude Hold has been added to the Android app in version v0.6.4.
Currently you can only use it when a Crazyradio is connected and a game pad is used.