Firmware Update: Motors Not Spinning

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
djsmith217
Beginner

Firmware Update: Motors Not Spinning

Post by djsmith217 »

I've looked up how to update the firmware and followed the directions exactly, but my motor still will not spin. I changed the config.mk file, then typed the "make PLATFORM=CF2" command, and the "make cload" command and when I reset the crazyflie in firmware mode the motor still refuse to spin. I also used the radio bootloader method and everything went well, but the motor still won't spin. What am I doing wrong? What are the correct directions to update the firmware in order to get the motors spinning?

P.S. I am using a mac. Plus I connected only one motor to the crazyflie. Do I need to connect all of them?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Firmware Update: Motors Not Spinning

Post by arnaud »

What about the LEDs? Does it look like the copter is passing the self-test or not? You can find the led sequences for the self test on the getting started page: https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... -2-0/#test
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

Yes, the LEDs pass the self-test. I'm using the crazyflie to make a bigger quadcopter using the big quad deck. Everything is connected, but I have only one esc and one motor plugged up to the big quad deck.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

The fact that you are using big quad is quite important there: the motors will then not spin during self test.

Did you enable the big-quad in config.mk as explained there: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:crazy ... d_features ? Do you see that the big quad deck is enabled in the copter console when connecting with a PC?

By the way I am moving the thread in the Crazyflie forum.
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

I did enable "CFLAGS += -DENABLE_BQ_DECK" from the config.mk file. Then I did "make clean", "make PLATFORM=CF2", "make cload", before connecting to the crazyflie. I do not, however, see anything about the big quad deck being enabled in the copter console even with the PC. Here is a photo:
Attachments
2016-06-23 17_20_07-Not connected.png
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

Here is my current problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd0CQtDnuqQ. With this problem, I can't connect to the crazyradio on the computer (Windows 10 or Mac).
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

For some reason the bigquad board hasn't been detected and looking at the video I can see that the CF2 is mounted the wrong way around. Turn it around 180 degrees and it should work.

The other problem you are seeing is because the battery isn't connected and as the USB has current limiting it triggers a reboot. But then again turning the CF2 around probably solves all the problems.
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

So should the front of the CF2 be directly above the arrows on the big quad deck or the other way around?

Also, for some reason, the CF2 is only showing a solid blue light when turned on. What should I do to fix that?
Attachments
Photo on 6-27-16 at 11.13 #2.jpg
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Yes exactly, the arrows should point to the front.

So if you disconnect the bigquad deck does the CF2 power up correctly? What happens when you push the on/off button? Have you connected anything else to the bigquad deck?
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

No, the CF2 still has the same solid blue light when I press the on/off button. Haven't connected anything else to the big quad deck. I tried switching out batteries for the CF2, but that didn't work.