3dprinted prop guard and motor mounts

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
er1c
Beginner

3dprinted prop guard and motor mounts

Post by er1c »

I finished my 3d printed prop guard and custom motor mount for the Crazyflie 2.0
The prop guard is based on the old one I made for Crazyflie 1.0, but the motor mounts are new to Crazyflie 2.0, because the motors are now plugged in rather than soldered. The mounts has integrated springs feet for cushioning those rough landings.

They are printed in SLS nylon/polyamide from Shapeways

and... a bit of self promotion ;)
https://www.shapeways.com/product/5D5UF ... prop-guard
https://www.shapeways.com/product/MQMJJ ... r-mount-4x
Mitteau
Expert

Re: 3dprinted prop guard and motor mounts

Post by Mitteau »

Good !
Maxzor
Beginner

Post by Maxzor »

Great job!
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

Wow. Very nice! I believe I will be making a purchase from Shapeways in the not to distant future...
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
er1c
Beginner

Post by er1c »

thanks! let me know what you think of the prop guard and the mounts if you do get them!
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

I just ordered a few motor mounts and blade guards. Man are they quite cost prohibitive! I certainly don't doubt all the work you put into the engineering and you should definitely be compensated for your skill and effort but Shapeways is not cheap and that will dissuade some of your potential customers. I did read the comment you made on Shapeways about their pricing and it's really too bad they're so expensive. I imagine these could be a great CF after-market mod product if they were half the price.

I'll give you some feedback after I've crashed a few times. ;-) That shouldn't take long. :lol:
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
er1c
Beginner

Post by er1c »

Thanks Chad!
Wait till you see the frame and motor mounts before judging whether they are worth the cost ;)
To be honest I also think shapeways prints are a bit expensive, and I've tried to keep my margin to a minimum to make the price as competitive as possible. hopefully the printing cost will go down in future as they make the printing process more efficient...
I'll try and look around for a cheaper 3dprinting service that offer SLS prints.
iscoyd
Beginner

Post by iscoyd »

I got one of these. On the positive side, it fits very nicely on the Crazyflie, and there has clearly been a lot of thought that has gone into the design of the snap-on clips, low weight and the general form factor.

On the negative side it is ridiculously brittle. It seemed like after nearly every hard landing (from only around 0.3 m) a strut element would break, and before I knew it, it had 5-6 struts that had broken, reducing its overall rigidity and rendering its protection of the Crazyflie very questionable.

It's a real shame that they cannot 3D print it with a stronger plastic that is less brittle with more "give" (yes, that can indeed be done!). It might increase the weight by perhaps a gram or two, but this prop-guard weighs only 2.7 grams to begin with, so increasing that to say 4 grams with a stronger plastic would not be the end of the world.

Overall rating:
5/5 for design
1/5 for usability
dsdrew
Beginner

Post by dsdrew »

Sticking this here in case I never get around to making a thread with more info/similar things I've made. Here's a replica of the stock motor mount if anyone wants it. Works great when printed with my Form 2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gtrqaI ... sp=sharing - CF MotorMount, STL format
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RsmTFx ... sp=sharing - CF MotorMount, Fusion 360 archive format