Tuning crazyflie for smooth, stable and responsive flight

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
theseankelly
Expert

Tuning crazyflie for smooth, stable and responsive flight

Post by theseankelly »

Hey Crazyfliers

I've been on a mission to tune the stabilization of the crazyflie 2.0 the past several weeks, and I thought it might be helpful to track my progress on the forum as well as get input from any of you who might have gone through similar exercises. I'm pretty experienced in embedded systems, sensor interaction, and controls but am new in applying all this stuff to quads.

Backstory: In general I found the crazyflie to be really stable and responsive. It's solid indoors. I never thought anything of it, until a couple friends of mine picked up the Hovership 3dfly running cleanflight:
http://shop.hovership.com/3dfly-micro-quad-kit/

This little guy is in the same class of crazyflie, but a bit more powerful (8.5mm motor cans vs 7mm on the crazyflie) and heavier. Out of the box, it flies way nicer than the crazyflie (details below). I didn't see any reason why crazyflie can't achieve the same results given it's basically the same Invensense IMU and equipped with quite powerful motors, so off on the mission I went, using the 3dfly as a frame of reference.

First, my setup: I'm using a crazyflie 2.0 with a modded Devo7e transmitter running deviation. In all testing, I've disabled the recently added tilt-thrust-compensation feature, but the rest of the firmware is stock. In some videos I post, you'll see my battery mounted on the bottom. This is because I've been flying with a cheap FPV camera lately and I need a nice level platform to mount the camera on. I've got another thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1924) discussing the effects of lowering the center of gravity in this way. It sounds like this might be working against me, but in practice I don't really notice a big difference. Either way, for all tuning experiments I try to make sure I test things out in the default config (battery on top) so that this is still applicable to most crazyfliers.

Here's some examples of the instability I'm aiming to improve on:
-Flight in level mode (the default) is undertuned and overcorrects. The effects of this are kind of a braking effect when the sticks are released -- fly forward at some pitch (20-30 degrees or something) and let go of the control stick. The flie overshoots level and slows itself down. Now, I could see how this behavior is actually somewhat beneficial to newer fliers, but I find it detrimental for more advanced flight. In particular, flying outside at higher speeds, the flie is prone to inverting itself if the sticks are released too quickly, especially when turning. When you repeat the same experiment with the 3dfly, it returns to level smoothly without overshoot (though it reacts noticeably more slowly than the crazyflie's default settings) and continues on smoothly via inertia - reminds me of skating on ice. Here's an example video of a string test demonstrating the overshoot (stabilization enabled on pitch only). It's subtle here, but is exacerbated by wind resistance when actually flying. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4 ... ideo%2cmp4

-Flight in rate mode (aka acro) is impossible. The crazyflie isn't really intended for acro flight, so the PIDs aren't tuned for this. However, the benefits of a well tuned rate PID should bubble up to the level PID, since the level PID simply feeds in to the rate PID. Plus, I want to fly in acro mode with my FPV camera :D. Here's the default rate mode (again, stabilization enabled only for pitch): https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4 ... ideo%2cmp4

-The crazyflie is highly susceptible to wind. Flying outside in anything stronger than a moderate breeze causes tumbles, spirals, and hard crashes. I certainly expect something as small and light as the crazyflie to get knocked around a fair bit, but it should be able to hold level while being blown around laterally, instead of getting inverted and crashing out of the sky (and I've seen it get into a spin ~50-100 feet up and not manage to recover -- I'm not talking about a couple feet off the ground).

First of all: I can't stress enough the importance of balanced props and non-damaged motors. I was having terrible performance for a while, and it was due partially to a slightly bent motor shaft, and partially to unbalanced props. I admit I originally scoffed at the notion of putting tape on my props, but it really, really matters. Try this: hold the flie in your hand, hold 3 of the props still, and give it a very short burst of throttle (don't lay on the throttle or you'll burn out your motors). You can REALLY feel the vibration from an unbalanced prop. You can barely feel anything from a balanced prop. Imagine what your IMU thinks about that :D

So, physical aspects aside, I decided to start playing with PID tuning since I figured that'd probably get me the greatest return. The crazyflie PID design is two stage: the angle PID runs on the fused IMU data to generate a desired rate of rotation. This rate of rotation feeds in to the rate PID which produces motor setpoints. In rate/acro mode, the output of the angle PID is simply ignored, and the values coming from the transmitter are used as the rates of rotation. All the conventional wisdom I can find in the quadcopter community is that the rate PID should always be tuned first, and the level PID (which sits on top logically) later. The default coefficients in the firmware are Kp = 70, Ki = 0, Kd = 0. With no Ki, it's no surprise the performance is poor -- it's not correcting for incremental errors at all. (As an aside, this still works reasonably well for level mode because the sensor fusion is effectively accounting for incremental errors). Choosing coefficients is mostly guesswork. Here are a few videos of things I tried along the way:

Kp = 110 Ki = 45 Kd = 0: A little better, but not really
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4 ... ideo%2cmp4

Kp = 200 Ki = 200 Kd = 0: Much better, but oscillations can be seen from the Ki term. Note, the slow drift seen here turned out to be due to my transmitter. I had it configured for a linear stick response, and it wasn't quite at zero when I let go of the stick. It was sending something in the neighborhood of 5-10 deg/s, which is what you see.

Kp = 250 Ki = 500 Kd = 2.5: This is what I've settled on for now for both pitch and roll. (I've also bumped up the Ki windup from 33 to 360, which might be a little risky) I'll probably keep experimenting, but this is very responsive, stable, and feels great to fly. Here's a video demonstrating how the Ki term can handle errors from external forces.

With this last setting, the crazyflie is VERY flyable in rate/acro mode. Even better, this has solved my first bullet above! The crazyflie doesn't overshoot anymore in level mode. However, I highly suspect I've just masked the root problem by slowing the rate of response via Kd. I intend to dig in more, but it's a great first step.

What's next? I want to keep digging in to the overshoot in level mode, as well as instability under windy conditions. Here's some ideas I have, roughly in the order in which I suspect them to matter:
-The sensor fusion loop. This has its own PI control loop which appears to have a pretty high latency/settle time. I suspect this is the real cause of any overshoot in level mode (and possibly instability in wind), and my increased Kd term on the rate PID simply slowed rotation enough for the attitude output to settle. I'll poke at tuning this, as well as checking out the alternate implementation (madgwick) that's ifdef'ed out.

-Level PID frequency -- the level PID is running at half the rate (250hz) of the angle PID and I don't entirely understand why. Would love some insight from the devs behind this choice. Also it's been a while since I looked at this part of code, but I believe I recall seeing the "dt" term being set to 500hz instead of 250hz, which might mess up the integral/derivative calculations.

-Sensor fusion/IMU sampling might get out of sync with the PIDs -- both are operating at 500hz, but they're not coupled with a data ready line from the IMU or anything. If they become out of phase with one another, that's adding a bit of unnecessary latency

-IMU biasing - gyro bias calculation can be improved by upscaling to 10ths of degrees, and the accel bias isn't being sampled by default. I don’t suspect either of this will have dramatic impact on the problems described above, because the bias looks quite insignificant as is

Hopefully this wasn't too long winded and boring. I'm obsessing over this a little bit, going through a big learning process, and am really hoping this'll end up helping someone else out, or someone else will chime in and help ME out. More updates to come as I learn things.

Sean
http://www.thejumperwire.com
Tips, tutorials, and science about DIY electronics, drones, and embedded software.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Re: Tuning crazyflie for smooth, stable and responsive flight

Post by kristoffer »

Interesting!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

It's great you started looking into this and so great to see the improvements! We put a lot of effort into the tuning when developing the CF1 but since then other tasks have taken priority.
Another thing that might improve things is the propagation delay from sensor output to actuator output. Right now we are not syncing to the the sensor output which could have an effect on performance. The interrupt line is wired from the MPU9250, it is just not used in the code... :oops: ;)
theseankelly
Expert

Post by theseankelly »

By syncing the sensor output, do you mean basically synchronizing the IMU read task with the PID task?
Tips, tutorials, and science about DIY electronics, drones, and embedded software.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Yes, so instead of letting a FreeRTOS run a recurrent timer task which isn't really synced to the MPU9250 output it could instead be triggered from the MPU9250 interrupt and then as quickly as possible calculate a new output to minimize the propagation delay.
theseankelly
Expert

Post by theseankelly »

Yeah, that seems to make the most sense. Cleanflight seems to make an attempt at doing that but I'm not really convinced it works. They basically have the gyro configured to generate samples at 1khz and a 1khz task. The task blocks on something like while(!GyroDataReady()) which reads the state of the DATARDY pin and waits for it to go high before proceeding. I'm not convinced that really achieves anything. If the task runs before the first gyro sample is written, then they'll be synchronized. But, more likely, the first gyro sample will be written before the task has a chance to read the data ready pin, and then the two loops will be as much as an entire period out of phase. Handling the interrupt as an ISR would definitely solve that problem. (UNLESS the MPU doesn't write a new sample to the buffer until the previous sample is read, clearing the data ready signal. Then this scheme works out pretty well. But, I'm pretty sure that's not how the part works.)

Another source of propagation delay is the MPU's DLPF itself -- the setting being used on crazyflie by default has something like 4ms of latency associated with it if I recall correctly (info in the MPU9250's datasheet/register map -- the lower the DLPF frequency, the higher the overall latency/delay). I wonder whether lowering the DLPF and compensating with a basic (low compute) software filter would have any noticeable effect.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi Sean,

That was a great analysis and we have a great margin for improvement!

I have tested your rate PID settings and played a bit with the attitude PID on Friday and I get really great performance!
- I finally get "straight" take-off (with our previous settings the take-off behavior was problematic, it took time for the copter to get leveled).
- The attitude control seems much tighter and faster, it reacts directly to joystick change.

One side-effect if that the copter, in level mode, behaves the way I would imagine: if you set a positive pitch it accelerates. If the pitch is back to 0 it just continues at constant speed (minus the draft ... it will stop at some point). This gives a very 'slippery' feeling like being on ice. It is allright for human and I plan to try outside since the copter is very very fast now! But for local positioning and automatic flight it completely break our current position controller, @whoenig might be interested about that. I will dig a bit to see if I can have the better PID setting in position control (I have a lot of problem with the takeoff behavior with the old settings!).

I just pushed the settings on Github protected by a compile flag: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-f ... 697ebae590

As for your ideas:

- My level pid settings seems to get rid of the overshot. The high settle time is visible when we have big spike on the accelerometer. I am not sure how much it affects the sensor fusion in real flight condition. Though there is certainly room for improvement there as well!

- For the loop at 250Hz it comes from CF1 era: it was a way to reduce the computational cost of the stabilisation by running the level PID and the sensor fusion slower (or you can see it the other way around: we doubled the speed of the rate loop which was a cheap way to increase performance).

- We can try to sync the stabilizer loop on the gyro sample rate, I do not think this will have a great impact though.

- I pushed a change earlier this week to the gyro biasing code that enhance greatly the gyro bias quality, it is now saved as a float and taken for a longer time. I did some brief test and the old bias resulted in a drift of about 0.1 degree per second after startup. The new bias has a drift of about 0.01 or less after startup. Though we do not compensate the gyro in temperature and this is a problem: when the sensor heats-up the drift increases.
theseankelly
Expert

Post by theseankelly »

Hey thanks for all the feedback and insight. I took a look at your level PID values -- that's more aggressive than I ever tried. Looking forward to testing it out :)

Regarding the 'slippery' behavior -- I understand the challenges this presents to the position control mode, but at the same time, the "stopping" behavior you were getting wasn't really precise. If the PIDs are tuned to be precise and predictable (and I think the slippery behavior is part of a well tuned PID -- not saying my settings are optimal, just that if a level PID does what it should, it should return to level with no overshoot at all, resulting in the sliding performance) then the position controller should have logic to specifically apply roll/pitch in the opposite direction in a deliberate fashion in order to stop on a dime. It should be way better than just relying on the natural overshoot of the previous PID values.

That's cool about the gyro bias improvement! I'll give that a test. Compensating for temperature is difficult...do you know if the bias drifts in the same direction at the same scale (on a per-specific-unit-basis)?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hey, I tested outdoor this week end and it is much more stable than before! It is possible to just tilt against the wind and stay there.

For the position control I agree. The problem is that we are assuming that tilt is speed, which was kind of true with the overshoot. Now I need a controller that control the acceleration instead. I am looking at making a very simple velocity estimator and controller so that the position controller can send velocity set point. This will normally exhibit similar behavior as before (in better because we will be able to tweak the velocity estimator to be more precise :).

I have googled a bit for MPU9250 temperature compensation and it seems to be possible. We talked a bit to Bosch recently (that it is thanks to them that I fixed the gyro drift bug!) and apparently we can expect less than 1 degree drift for 5 minutes and less than 15 degree per hours with state of the art sensors (which the MPU9250 is!). We are still a bit far from it and this is my assumption that we are missing temperature compensation.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

Wow! :o I just enabled the "experimental" PID tuning in the FW and I'm flying even better than I ever have. This is impressive. Nice work!!! :D I'm glad there are super-geniuses like theseankelly in the community. This work is one of this things that makes the Crazyflie community so awesome! Kudos.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.