Presentation and client installation issues

Firmware/software/electronics
giandoman

Presentation and client installation issues

Post by giandoman »

Hello everybody i'm Gianni from italy and i'm mostly new to this crazyflie platform and command line instructions. So please forgive me if i ask trivial and stupid questions.
This is my problem: i am a mac os user and i'm following the instructions written here https://wiki.bitcraze.io/doc:crazyflie: ... bootloader
and here
https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-c ... /README.md
for the installation of everything i need to run the client and flash the firmware of the drone. So I installed git, brew (even if i'm not fully aware of what tyey do) and when i launch the "pip3 install -e ." command i receive this error message:
Giannis-MacBook-Pro:crazyflie-lib-python Gianni$ pip3 install -e .
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/pip3", line 6, in <module>
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pkg_resources'
Giannis-MacBook-Pro:crazyflie-lib-python Gianni$
I tried to understand by myself what it happening but my knowledge on these stuff is still poor. Can someone explain me how to complete the installation of the client?
Thanks everybody.
Gianni
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Presentation and client installation issues

Post by arnaud »

Have you run all the brew install commands? Did they finish without error?
giandoman

Post by giandoman »

yes. I have installed everythig indeed when i try to reinstall them everything stop because i have already installed all i need
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

Hi!

First an explanation of what git and brew is.
* GIT is a tool that is used to manage source code. It keeps track of all changes in the files and enables many people to collaborate when developing source code. For a user like you it is a convenient tool to use to download the source code.
* Brew is used to install software in OSX, mainly command line tools, libraries and such. It does not use the same app format as Apple use but is inspired by similar tools in the linux/unix world.

I'm not sure what causes your problem, I have not seen this before. From some googling it looks like it might be a problem with the setuptools installation (that is part of the python3 installation). Some people seems to get this problem if they installed using sudo.

If you only want to run the client and flash the firmware you can skip the "pip3 install -e ." step. It is only required if you plan to work on the code in the crazyflie python lib.
If everything was fine up to the "pip3 install -e ." step, it should be possible to start the client by typing "cfclient"
giandoman

Post by giandoman »

thanks for the support!!