[SOLVED] Crazyradio on Win7/virtual machine

Post here to get support
alex
Expert

Re: Crazyradio on Win7/virtual machine

Post by alex »

arnaud wrote:
@Arnaud: Does this help to track down the error source?
I'll try to test the Crazyradio under the Win7 x64 environment for the next step.
These errors are very strange and look like a USB problem with VirtualBox. Does any other USB devices work in virtualbox? (for example you can try to see if the gamepad is recognized by the client). I found that some people have problems with Windows 7, USB and Virtualbox. Maybe thats it: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 04#p176270
Yes, I successfully connected an original PS3 controller via USB and Bluetooth (using sixad) in the VM.
Your VirtualBox forum link looks promising, seems to be a problem with the filter driver under Win7 Home Premium. I'll try to figure this out. Thanks a lot, I'm grateful for every hint.
In addition, if the Crazyradio works under native Windows (without the VM around it), I think we narrowed it down to a problem with the filter driver.

I will keep you informed.
alex
Expert

Re: Problems installing PyUSB and running CF PC Client

Post by alex »

Spent some time yesterday to investigate the problem.

I installed the Windows package distributed on the wiki. It includes Python, all dependencies and the CF PC Client. There's nothing left to say than 'amazing'! Runs like a charm out of the box, the Crazyradio worked as expected. After flashing the most recent CF firmware subsequently and connecting to the CF without any problems, I turned it around in the air. I was impressed of the sensor's accuracy! Unfortunately I hadn't the time to fly some rounds. Although this works so well, this MotioninJoy thing prevents me from using the Windows environment.

Obviously there's an issue with VirtualBox and its USB filter system. I tried the workaround posted by Arnaud above, but it didn't succeed. This bug seems to exist for years, so I gave up in the end. Since IMHO VirtualBox is the best free virtualization solution, I would love to work with it. So further suggestions are welcome.

I stumbled across VMware Player, an alternative to VirtualBox with less features. It's free for non-commercial use. I installed it, imported the Bitcraze VM image, updated the sources and was able to connect to the CF at the first try! That's how it's supposed to be. The next few days I will test the VMware Player and - finally - fly around alot! :D

Thanks everybody for pushing me in the right direction. As I said before, further suggestions regarding VirtualBox would be highly appreciated.
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

OMG, it works! The Crazyradio works in VirtualBox! :lol: :P Can't describe how happy I am.

Don't know exactly what I did to make it recognize the USB dongle. Maybe my constant plugging in and unplugging the PS3 controller and Crazyradio somewhen convinced the VM to accept it?! :?:

Now it shows up in the guest's USB list, too:

Code: Select all

bitcraze@bitcraze-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0489:e031 Foxconn / Hon Hai 
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1915:7777 Nordic Semiconductor ASA <--
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Sorry that I can't write something down for other users having the same problem. :roll:

Thanks for your input, guys! I have to fly now...
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

This thing is so much fun! Now getting some feeling for it sensitivity in the air - next step: playing with advanced flight control! :D
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

alex wrote:This thing is so much fun! Now getting some feeling for it sensitivity in the air - next step: playing with advanced flight control! :D
Glad to hear that you solved the problem and that you are having a good time flying :D
proplane64
Beginner

Re: [SOLVED] Crazyradio on Win7/virtual machine

Post by proplane64 »

My brand new Crazyradio PA is recognized in the Bitcraze OVA Virtual Machine (at least,that's what i figure given that when i physically move the Flie copter, it reflects in the changes in values in the VM Flie client. step 1 done after 2 months of trying different things.

Step 2 = getting the ps3 controller working so I can fly this damn thing. any help? (please don't direct me to any existing literature online as Ive seen it all im sure - and NONE of it is effective)
proplane64
Beginner

Re: [SOLVED] Crazyradio on Win7/virtual machine

Post by proplane64 »

FINALLY got the VM working with xbox 360 controller... a mind numbingly painful 2 months.