Download tools for NRF24L01+ and NRF24LU1

Post here to get support
xfce
Beginner

Download tools for NRF24L01+ and NRF24LU1

Post by xfce »

Hi all,
I wonder if I want to program the Crazyradio(NRF24LU1) and the Crazyflie(NRF24L01+),do I have to need a program tools?
and which tools you use? Thanks
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Download tools for NRF24L01+ and NRF24LU1

Post by tobias »

It depends on what you want to do with them. If doing development on the Crazyradio a SPI programmer is recommended as it is possible to "brick" the bootloader with wrong firmware.

The NRF24L01+ is just a SPI slave device and is completely controlled by the Crazyflie MCU. The Crazyflie has a unbrickable radio bootloader but if you are developing on the Crazyradio, which then is used to program it, I would recommend getting a JTAG for the Crazyflie.

Using the Bitcraze VM is a quick way to get started (but maybe not a long term development solution)
xfce
Beginner

Post by xfce »

tobias wrote:It depends on what you want to do with them. If doing development on the Crazyradio a SPI programmer is recommended as it is possible to "brick" the bootloader with wrong firmware.

The NRF24L01+ is just a SPI slave device and is completely controlled by the Crazyflie MCU. The Crazyflie has a unbrickable radio bootloader but if you are developing on the Crazyradio, which then is used to program it, I would recommend getting a JTAG for the Crazyflie.

Using the Bitcraze VM is a quick way to get started (but maybe not a long term development solution)
Thanks.
From the nordicsemi's web,link is http://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/ ... ge)/eng-GB
it wrote "Supports firmware upgrades over USB for easy deployment of new features and bug fixes to end-users",does it means there is a bootloader built-in the IC, and I can download my firmware by the USB interface with a PC's app(does the Bitcraze VM include the PC's APP?).But if I want to debug the firmware I need the SPI programmer?

About the JTAG for Crazyflie,I have the ST-LINK V2,I think it will work OK.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Yes, the Crazyradio is programmable via USB using tools in the VM or in the Crazyradio repo. The tricky part is that currently the firmware will be booted first and then it's used to switch to the bootloader. So if you program the Crazyradio with firmware that for some reason isn't able to re-launch the bootloader then you will have to reprogram it using SPI.

Here's a link to the wiki where you can read about updating the firmware using the USB bootloader and here's a link with information on how to program it using SPI.
gl516

Post by gl516 »

marcus wrote:Yes, the Crazyradio is programmable via USB using tools in the VM or in the Crazyradio repo. The tricky part is that currently the firmware will be booted first and then it's used to switch to the bootloader. So if you program the Crazyradio with firmware that for some reason isn't able to re-launch the bootloader then you will have to reprogram it using SPI.

Here's a link to the wiki where you can read about updating the firmware using the USB bootloader and here's a link with information on how to program it using SPI.
========================
hi.....I have a question want to ask next!
I have already started the BOOTloader mode, and shows the new on the computer hardware devices 'nRF24LU1P - F32 BOOT LDR'.. But why don't I use USB BOOTLOAD programming, 'python(version 2.7.5 )prompt I didn't find any hardware.
For details, please refer to: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=488