Too many packets lost error

Post here to get support
pzoli
Beginner

Re: Too many packets lost error

Post by pzoli »

I bought a C-CFK-02-B from the exp-tech.de and I have the same problem. I tried change the antenna to another (like in the blog) on the board and I changed it on the radio modul but it is not solved the problem.
The interesting thing is that the problem independent from the distance. The packet los occure when the copter stand a special position relative to the antenna.

I do not want to send back my copter to the exp-tech because I am living in a different country and it is too complicated.

Can you suggest me something?
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

pzoli wrote:I bought a C-CFK-02-B from the exp-tech.de and I have the same problem. I tried change the antenna to another (like in the blog) on the board and I changed it on the radio modul but it is not solved the problem.
The interesting thing is that the problem independent from the distance. The packet los occure when the copter stand a special position relative to the antenna.

I do not want to send back my copter to the exp-tech because I am living in a different country and it is too complicated.

Can you suggest me something?
I've sent you a PM.
steffensensa
Beginner

Post by steffensensa »

I also ordered from exp-tech.de and have the exact same issue!
Got mine 3 days ago, and have not been able to fly it since it drops the connection after getting about 1 meter away (tested on linux vm and 2 separate windows machines)..
I have not tested by removing the antenna and all that yet though. I was kinda hoping it was something else.

Feels a bit bad to pay this much for something that does not work as expected (since others have the same issue)..
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

steffensensa wrote:I also ordered from exp-tech.de and have the exact same issue!
Got mine 3 days ago, and have not been able to fly it since it drops the connection after getting about 1 meter away (tested on linux vm and 2 separate windows machines)..
I have not tested by removing the antenna and all that yet though. I was kinda hoping it was something else.

Feels a bit bad to pay this much for something that does not work as expected (since others have the same issue)..
We agree that it's bad that some people have problems with their radios, even though it's very few users that has seen this issue. I've sent you a PM, let's see if we can sort this out.

/Marcus
actebay
Beginner

Post by actebay »

Hi,

I've built up my CrazyFlie and uploaded the latest firmware via the GUI and every thing seemed to be okay. However, when I move the quad away from the laptop I immediately get the "too many packets lost error". I've tried a large range of radio channels and this seems to make no difference. The furthest range I've managed is about 2m, which I assume is not normal.

I've read the above thread and wonder if there is anything I can do other than remove the ceramic antenna and replace with wire antenna?

I've (hopefully) attached a picture of the quad so that you can inspect the soldering of the parts around the antenna, but it looks okay to me.
crazyflie_antenna.jpg
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Andy.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear that you have problems with the radio. No the range should not be around 2m, it should be at least 20-30m. Could you start by contacting Seeedstudio support as they are responsible for the hardware and direct them to your post.

There is a possibility that the Crazyradio or its antenna is the problem so if you have a spare 2.4GHz antenna from e.g. a router you could try that to rule out a problem with the antenna.

I will also contact Seeedstudio as this is the third unit with radio issues in a short period of time.
actebay
Beginner

Post by actebay »

I bought my cf from cool components in the uk. I'll drop them an email. Can I patch in/attach an antenna without removing the ceramic antenna to test if this is the issue? If so how do you recommend I do it?

Thanks.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I don't think it is possible to test without removing the chip antenna. There have been some improvement using a wire instead, see this post, but I would recommend you to get a replacement kit instead. I'm not completely sure who will handle the support, cool components in UK, or Seeedstudio, but you should probably start by contacting cool components.

What I meant with testing with another 2.4GHZ antenna I meant the one screwed to the radio dongle (Crazyradio). There is a possibility that the Crazyradio or its antenna is the problem.
actebay
Beginner

Post by actebay »

I've tried a 2nd antenna for the crazy radio and this made no difference.

I've removed the ceramic antenna, which came off very easily, and I've replace this with a 62mm length of wire. Unfortunately this has made no difference either, could there be something else wrong? Is there anyway to independently test the USB crazy radio?

I assume I will need the replacement kit, what exactly is this? Just a new ceramic antenna? Will cool components know what this is?

Thanks.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I would guess there is an actual problem with one of the radio chips and it is not that easy to test without RF equipment. What I meant is that you should get a new working kit to replace the none working one.