[SOLVED] Crazyradio USB-Driver installation problems on Windows 7 64bit

Post here to get support
GT_Philip
Beginner

[SOLVED] Crazyradio USB-Driver installation problems on Windows 7 64bit

Post by GT_Philip »

Hi,

I have problems with the installation of the usb-drivers of the crazyradio PA usb-dongle for Windows 7 64bit.
I tried to follow the instructions under https://wiki.bitcraze.io/doc:crazyradio ... dows_zadig.
However, zadig from the linked website: http://zadig.akeo.ie/ seems not to work under
64bit systems, so I compiled it from source using Windows Developer Kit with activated 64bit support
using the instructions: https://github.com/pbatard/libwdi/wiki/Install.
The compilation worked, but after the installation of the driver from the compiled
zadig binary, the usb-device is still not working. Windows recognizes the device
but complains about not installed drivers (Code 28).
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Best regards
Philip
Last edited by GT_Philip on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyradio USB-Driver installation problems on Windows 7 64bit

Post by arnaud »

What error do you get from Zadig?

Zadig should work fine on 64bit system (we are using it because on 64bit Windows systems a driver signature is required).
GT_Philip
Beginner

Post by GT_Philip »

Hi Araud, I translated the error-message for you:

The version of this file is not compatible with the executing Windows-version.
Open system-informations of your computer to check wether a x86-(32bit) or
a x64-(64bit)-version of the program is needed and contact the publisher of the software.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that this message is probably generated by windows, not by zadig.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

I tested in a newly installed Windows 7 64 bit virtual machine and it works for me. I run zadig 2.3 from http://zadig.akeo.ie/. I attach a screenshot of how it should look like when it is well installed (the WCID field should be different in your case, I have an experimental firmware is this radio).

The only reason I could see that fails is if you have some antivirus or some rules set by IT (if it is a work computer) preventing zadig from running. The error messages does not make much sense though.
Attachments
zadig_win7_64.png
GT_Philip
Beginner

Post by GT_Philip »

Hi, the problem is now solved.
The problem was, that the downloaded file was corrupted. I downloaded once again and now it works.
I do not know why the binaries, which I compiled from source did not work. However I will not investigate
this topic any further.

Best regards
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: [SOLVED] Crazyradio USB-Driver installation problems on Windows 7 64bit

Post by arnaud »

Hi, good to hear that it is solved.

I am not sure for the self-compiled problem. I have had some success compiling zadig and libwdi before and I wanted to include it in the Crazyflie client installer, but I got some problem with my compiled file being tagged as virus by the antivirus.

Now that I think about it, we could bundle zadig in the client installer and install it with the client, do you think that would be a good thing?
GT_Philip
Beginner

Post by GT_Philip »

Hi Arnaud,
I am unsure wether bundling zadig to the client is necessary, because the problem that I had was not the fault of zadig.
After the second download it worked fine. Maybe Windows-users who are working with the VM do not want to install the
whole windows client only for the usb-drivers.
But this decision is up to you.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Then it seems not that necessary.

We are not Windows user but I am trying to support Windows use case as well as I can so it is good to get feedbacks :).