moving ave filter

Post here to get support
hyperglider
Beginner

moving ave filter

Post by hyperglider »

Hi,

I have used the Kalman filter which improves stability, I was wondering if there is a moving average filter option a well.

Regards
hyperglider
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: moving ave filter

Post by tobias »

In what context would you use a moving average filter? To filter the accelerometer values? Could you please elaborate?
hyperglider
Beginner

Post by hyperglider »

Hi,

I was thinking of replacing the kalman filter with a moving average filter to see if the stability is improved.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Still not totally sure what you mean. Are you talking about position estimation from the Loco positioning system?
hyperglider
Beginner

Post by hyperglider »

yes
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

So far we have 2 position estimator in ROS: the Particle filter and a LMS filter.

In the Crazyflie we only have the Kalman filter.

Though the stability of the flight is not only affected by the position estimator, we have experimented a bit with the attitude and position controller and they can have an effect on the flight stability (for example activating the new attitude PID setting seem to make the position control a bit better for static setpoint).

I am curious about the moving average filter, where do you want to apply a moving average that could lead to better result than the kalman filter?
hyperglider
Beginner

Post by hyperglider »

Arnaud,

thanks for the clarification, the LMS filter is a Least Mean Squares filter?

Regards
HG
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Yes it is. It was made by Wolfgang, he got better results with the lms than with the particle filer. Unfortunately I never manage to get it to run properly in my setup.