[SOLVED] The communication distance of Bluetooth

Post here to get support
doctorlu
Beginner

[SOLVED] The communication distance of Bluetooth

Post by doctorlu »

Dear everyone,
I'm a new recruit, and got quadcopter two days ago. I just finished assembling the copter and am ready to fly it. However, when I try using app client to connect it via bluetooth from my iphone 6 plus, the copter seems does not respond to my control. In detail, when I hold the yaw, pitch and roll, just pull up thrust, the copter fly upwords directly and hit the roof even if I release the thrust. Then, after few seconds, it just fall to the ground. I speculate that this issue stems from the blue tooth communication distance; when the copter fly high the distance between it and my iphone also increases (approximately 5 meters or so), and that's why I lose control of the copter. AM I right, and how could I manage it? Please help me out and thanks in advance.
Last edited by doctorlu on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
doctorlu
Beginner

Re: The communication distance of Bluetooth

Post by doctorlu »

Nobody replies to me? Or, I did not make this question clear?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Yes it sounds like a communication issue. The communication distance should be at least 10m but as with all radio communication it depends on many things. Can you try to test the distance? You could control it without taking off from ground and walk away and see when you start loosing control.
doctorlu
Beginner

Post by doctorlu »

tobias wrote:Yes it sounds like a communication issue. The communication distance should be at least 10m but as with all radio communication it depends on many things. Can you try to test the distance? You could control it without taking off from ground and walk away and see when you start loosing control.
Dear Tobias,
Thanks for the reply. The distance is arbitrary, even when I stand extremely close to it, the connection also still gets lost, and it is really not a rare case. Right now, it can fly stable rather than hit straight to the roof (I changed the max magnitude of thrust to 60, and it turns fine). Could it fly better if I connect this pretty little copter via usb radio?
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

doctorlu wrote:Right now, it can fly stable rather than hit straight to the roof (I changed the max magnitude of thrust to 60, and it turns fine).
I find it incredibly hard to fly with the "fast" setting on the iPhone client. The "slow" setting is considerably easier. I have a short guide to flying with iPhone (I use a 6+) but you probably already learned most of what I've written.
doctorlu wrote:Could it fly better if I connect this pretty little copter via usb radio?
Definitely, I think so. With a good PS3 or PS4 controller and the Crazyradio it can fly very well indeed!
doctorlu wrote:Nobody replies to me? Or, I did not make this question clear?
The Bitcraze guys and a few others monitor this forum but, since the Bitcraze guys are working on new functionality, new decks, bug fixes, etc... and community members usually have other obligations as well, responses may take a few days. Patience is good! :)
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
doctorlu
Beginner

Post by doctorlu »

chad wrote:
doctorlu wrote:Right now, it can fly stable rather than hit straight to the roof (I changed the max magnitude of thrust to 60, and it turns fine).
I find it incredibly hard to fly with the "fast" setting on the iPhone client. The "slow" setting is considerably easier. I have a short guide to flying with iPhone (I use a 6+) but you probably already learned most of what I've written.
doctorlu wrote:Could it fly better if I connect this pretty little copter via usb radio?
Definitely, I think so. With a good PS3 or PS4 controller and the Crazyradio it can fly very well indeed!
doctorlu wrote:Nobody replies to me? Or, I did not make this question clear?
The Bitcraze guys and a few others monitor this forum but, since the Bitcraze guys are working on new functionality, new decks, bug fixes, etc... and community members usually have other obligations as well, responses may take a few days. Patience is good! :)
Thanks Chad,
I get that.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: [SOLVED] The communication distance of Bluetooth

Post by tobias »

@doctorlu Did it get better and did you find a solution? It is very difficult to say if it is problem with the hardware or not but what I can say is that there are very few cases of problems with the radio communication on the CF2 so chances are that it is something else. However we have seen a few cases where e.g. a motor has been very noisy and disturbed the communication. This you can try by removing the propellers and thrusting up. If the communication is lagging/lost due to this there might be a noisy motor.