Crazyflie stability issues

Post here to get support
crypt
Beginner

Crazyflie stability issues

Post by crypt »

Hi,

I bought Crazyflie 1.0 about a year ago from Seeedstudio and never had it flying correctly. It always drifted away and crashed in something. I had not the time to focus on Crazyflie for quite a long time, but I really want to make it work now. So my other forum post relates a firmware issue, here I want to address the problem, which was present from the beginning, even when the firmware and the client worked perfectly:

I soldered the motors and double checked if I did it correctly. When the motors turn on, I can confirm that the props are correctly set up and turning into the right direction. I tied CF with two ropes and can see that it comes up to a stable position as long as something holds it into this position.

When I add thrust via the PS3 controller, I expect CF to just hover. But the real effect is, that it drifts away from the moment that it leaves the ground and ultimately crashes into something or even spins over and lands on the props.

Is there something I can do about it?

Thanks!
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie stability issues

Post by arnaud »

How fast is it drifting? It will always drift a bit because Crazyflie does not have sensor know its position in the room and so it cannot control its absolute position.

The client has trim options you can use to compensate for a systematic drift and you can write these in the config block to save them in the Crazyflie.