[SOLVED] Crazyradio - USB device has malfunctioned

Post here to get support
saybeano
Beginner

[SOLVED] Crazyradio - USB device has malfunctioned

Post by saybeano »

Hello all,

So on first plugging my Crazyradio (Rev. D) in I got the following from windows (Windows 8.1, x64, EN) notification tray...
"The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it."
In device manager, it's the usual Error 43, unknown USB device.

On running Zadzig I have to select show all devices so I can select the Crazyradio, Windows names it...
"Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" and when I attempt to "Install Driver" (libusb-win32) on this selected device/the crazyradio, the driver installation fails.

In Zadzig it claims the device USB/Vendor ID is "0000 0002"

I've tried the board in several USB 2.0 and 3.0 sockets, along with uninstalling the device between attempts and I get the same malfunction.

Not one of the LEDs on the board light up.

All components appear to be sound, and there are no dry solder points from what I can tell.

I've tried running the Crazyflie virtual machine but as the device is unknown I can't filter it. It's clear that the USB isn't giving it the power it needs!

Any hellp would be greatly appreciated- I've tried mining the forum for similar and I have had no luck so apologies if this is a duplicate.

Thank you,

Mark
Last edited by saybeano on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyradio - Windows claims the USB device has malfuncti

Post by tobias »

Hi Mark,

It really sounds like a hardware issue, probably diode D1 failed or the regulator as the LEDs don't lit up shortly when connecting it. I've sent you a PM.
saybeano
Beginner

Re: [SOLVED] Crazyradio - USB device has malfunctioned

Post by saybeano »

Hi Tobias,

I'm inclined to agree! Best get a new one then :)

Thanks for your help with that,

Mark
0x746821
Beginner

Post by 0x746821 »

Hi!

Just received a Crazyradio PA Rev. C from Seeed Studio and I am experiencing the same
problem, although both (C4, D3) leds flash 4 times when plugging in the usb dongle.

Is there anything else I can try or should i go for a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Have you tried it in another computer? Try also a USB 2.0 port if you only tested USB 3.0 port.

As the led flashes it might be because of connector glitching. Either the power or the USB data lines.

If nothing of the above helps get a replacement from Seeed.
0x746821
Beginner

Post by 0x746821 »

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I tried on different computers and different ports. On some ports both leds flash 4 times,
on other ports nothing happens at all. But whenever it is working it just shows
"Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in the device manager.
I will try to get a replacement.
tdurongphant
Beginner

Post by tdurongphant »

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue with my Crazy Radio PA. My radio is REV.C. For some reason Windows 10, and my Linux distribution doesn't recognize the radio. When trying to install the drivers, it fails under Windows 10, it is also listed as Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" and when I attempt to "Install Driver" (libusb-win32) on this selected device/the crazyradio, the driver installation fails. In Zadzig it claims the device USB/Vendor ID is "0000 0002" The radio it self has D3 RED LED light up. It not blinking or flashing, its just a solid red LED. Some help please.

Tan
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

@tdurongphant
This is a new problem to us and I'm thinking it might be firmware related. It is very strange that it reports a USB/Vendor ID which makes me think it has been flashed incorrectly or windows is reporting it like that when it is not working. I've sent you a PM.