Amontec jtagkey alternatives

Post here to get support
e-Rok
Beginner

Amontec jtagkey alternatives

Post by e-Rok »

Hi,
It seems that the Amontec jtagkey/jtagkey2 is no longer commercially available. Can someone recommend an alternative for jtag debugging? Specifically, one with a driver for Linux.
e-Rok
Beginner

Re: Amontec jtagkey alternatives

Post by e-Rok »

Another option: does someone have a .bin image for crazyradio that puts the crazyradio into receive mode?
whoenig
Expert

Post by whoenig »

I believe Bitcraze used the Bus Blaster successfully (available from seeed studio as well).

What do you mean by putting the "crazyradio into receive mode"?
e-Rok
Beginner

Post by e-Rok »

Crazyradio is by default in transmit mode (ptx). The crazyflie is by default in receive mode (prx). I want to use two crazyradios to send, receive, and log data.

Since the crazyradio is a derivative of the nRF24LU1+, it can be put into prx mode by writing to one of the hex addresses in a specific register as shown in the nRFLU1+ documentation. This can either be done through serial-usb programming as with the Bus Blaster or through the native usb connector on the crazyradio. Both are a bit over my head right now, though.
whoenig
Expert

Post by whoenig »

I added support for the PRX mode a while ago: https://github.com/whoenig/crazyradio-firmware.
However, keep in mind that if you do make a mistake in the crazyradio firmware, you might need to get a JTAG programmer to reflash. (Entering the bootloader is explicitly part of the crazyradio firmware).
e-Rok
Beginner

Post by e-Rok »

Thanks for your help.
e-Rok
Beginner

Post by e-Rok »

Another question, do I need to write another file that will be the binary or the hex file to load onto the crazyradio that I will set to prx mode?
whoenig
Expert

Post by whoenig »

You would need to clone my repository and build the crazyradio firmware. After that you flash the resulting hex file to the crazyradio. This firmware has the option to change to PRX mode at runtime. By default, it should show the very same behavior as the original firmware (i.e. you can still use the crazyradio to fly a stock crazyflie). There is no need to change any register etc. You won't need a JTAG adapter (unless something goes wrong).
e-Rok
Beginner

Post by e-Rok »

I did this and it worked. There is a resulting cradio.bin file from running the make command as well. Could I flash this to the crazyradio? This might be preferable since .bin file is much smaller than the .ihx file.
whoenig
Expert

Post by whoenig »

Great. Yes, you should flash the cradio.bin. There are instructions in the wiki: http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyradio:programming.