[FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
Post Reply
capriele
Beginner
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 pm

[FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by capriele » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:44 pm

I've added carefree mode in crazyflie-client.
You can check it to my git fork:
https://github.com/capriele/crazyflie-clients-python

Have fun :D



capriele
Beginner
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by capriele » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:13 pm

I've added even CareFree mode into the firmware:

https://github.com/capriele/crazyflie-firmware

Have fun :D

erlingrj
Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by erlingrj » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:35 am

Would you care to explain what CareFree-mode is and how you enable and use it? From what I can understand you've implemented a position-hold, and I am very eager to see how well this works :D Also I notice that in commander.py where youve updated a whole bit, much of the new functionality is written after a "#", i.e. not executed code. Why is that?

capriele
Beginner
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by capriele » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:06 pm

erlingrj wrote:Would you care to explain what CareFree-mode is and how you enable and use it? From what I can understand you've implemented a position-hold, and I am very eager to see how well this works :D Also I notice that in commander.py where youve updated a whole bit, much of the new functionality is written after a "#", i.e. not executed code. Why is that?
For the CareFree mode you can see at: http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php? ... areFree%29.
However CareFree mode simply makes the copter's head pointing every times at the some direction (simpler piloting).
The commented part of commander.py is not executed because now i've implemented this modes in crazyflie's firmware and so all the computation are made by the copter and the client's computation are unuseful.

To switch the modes i've configured the ps3 controller so that when i press R1 it switch mode.

erlingrj
Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by erlingrj » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Okay, very cool. But the positionHold mode is new too me, did you make that one too? Unfortunatly when I download your firmware+client it all ran very very slow. There was a delay of perhaps 10s between moving the cf and actually seeing changes in pitch/roll and so on in the client. So I had to change back to the original client+firmware.

capriele
Beginner
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by capriele » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:45 pm

erlingrj wrote:Okay, very cool. But the positionHold mode is new too me, did you make that one too? Unfortunatly when I download your firmware+client it all ran very very slow. There was a delay of perhaps 10s between moving the cf and actually seeing changes in pitch/roll and so on in the client. So I had to change back to the original client+firmware.
Hi, i'm working into the implementation of position-Mode.
However it's strange this behaviour because at me it go very fast.
On what machine you're running the client?

erlingrj
Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by erlingrj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:34 am

Im using the 0.5VM, it is possible that the poor performance was due to some changes I made to the code. And therefore was fixed when I changed back to the "original" client and firmware. I will try again later today with the new firmware and give you an update on how that works out.

capriele
Beginner
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by capriele » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:26 am

erlingrj wrote:Im using the 0.5VM, it is possible that the poor performance was due to some changes I made to the code. And therefore was fixed when I changed back to the "original" client and firmware. I will try again later today with the new firmware and give you an update on how that works out.
I've updated the client for speed improvement...

otto
Beginner
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: [FEATURE ADDED] CareFree Mode

Post by otto » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 am

I don't mean to spoil the fun but I'm fairly certain this is the same thing as what I did in this thread: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=847

Post Reply