Crazy Bat?

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
blackt1ger
Beginner

Crazy Bat?

Post by blackt1ger »

I had a weird thought while I'm awaiting delivery of my Crazyflie (I just order one a few days ago from SeeedStudio, they are back in stock).

I've seen folks talk about 3-d printing some "cages" to keep from breaking your 'copter. What if, perhaps, you didn't crash in the first place. Consider "echolocation". It should be possible to emit a high-frequency signal, await the echo reply and determine if you are about to hit something, in case, you stop progress in your current movement vector.

A 3mm, 75 Mhz transducer might do the trick. http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ultrasoni ... frequency/

Sound travels at 1.173 feet/ms (using 800 mph, which is a bit faster than normal, but it's the value I always use), a 75 Mhz wave could do a few cycles (what IS the speed of the Crazyflie CPU ? ), wait a 1 ms and then listen.

I'm also probably going to look for an SPI based - multiplexor. I found a few 8 channel ones, which should allow me to drive the transducer, and size/weight permitting 4 transducers.....

--Ken
atomicdog
Expert

Re: Crazy Bat?

Post by atomicdog »

The CF isn't very aerodynamic, so I don't think echolocation would stop a lot of the human caused crashes. It's a cool project though especially for more automated flying.
Sudden changes in direction can cause the CF's flight to become unstable, which causes you to crash anyways.
6-DOF CF | wireless xbox 360 controller