Working FPV Camera setup with realtime HUD

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
omwdunkley
Expert

Re: Working FPV Camera setup with realtime HUD

Post by omwdunkley »

Hey everyone, just a small warning:

I and a few others have been having a few problems CF voltages. So far the only common factor is using an FPV system.

Threads discussing the issue/solutions:
OMWDunkley VoltageProb Thread
SuperRoach VoltageProb Thread
Vew Non-FPV but similar symptoms with fix Thread

You have been warned :)
ONEXTW
Beginner

Post by ONEXTW »

Thanks for the heads up omw, I don't think i can say I've had the same problems but just a few days ago I added the following components to my testing pool :P

Nano Transmitter
Sub Nano combo

Straight off the bat the 5.8ghz system worked really well (transmitter got a little hot but nothing too bad) and i have been using that without coming across the voltage issues you guys have above.

I spent most of last night getting the new components a little more modular for testing and was super excited to test out the 2.4ghz nano transmitter(0.1g lighter than the sub nano... what the?)

Using the nano transmitter and the 1g camera worked well... Until i went to turn it off... just about burnt my finger on the crazyflie voltage regulator where you guys have had problems.

I should do some more testing but just looking at the current draw of the two transmitters the nano transmitter draws half the amount of current, if the polou regulator steps up the voltage through the Current draw, (something about V=IR).

from the pololu website "The available output current is a function of the input voltage, output voltage, and efficiency"

so considering the efficiency is pretty menial variance +/- 4% .... without knowing the output current of the CF the im wondering if it could be like putting a crimp on a hose (42ma 2.4ghz transmitter) and turning up the water pressure(pololu step up)? resulting in the CF U9 regulator to burn out(or to keep the metaphor going having the hose burst off at the tap)?

Would a low level resistor on the pololu Vout perhaps be enough to absorb some of that extra current?

all that being said... i still have more testing to do but will keep an eye on burnouts.
myrcfocus
Beginner

Post by myrcfocus »

Great thread, im currently awaiting my 5.8ghz transmitter and camera from FpvHobby, and one of these too http://www.foxtechfpv.com/allinone-fpv- ... p-229.html

This will be fun :D
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

ONEXTW wrote: Straight off the bat the 5.8ghz system worked really well (transmitter got a little hot but nothing too bad) and i have been using that without coming across the voltage issues you guys have above.

I spent most of last night getting the new components a little more modular for testing and was super excited to test out the 2.4ghz nano transmitter(0.1g lighter than the sub nano... what the?)

Using the nano transmitter and the 1g camera worked well... Until i went to turn it off... just about burnt my finger on the crazyflie voltage regulator where you guys have had problems.
Thanks for sharing! Yes, what you observed is very consistent to my experience too. The 5.8ghz setup worked well, and the 2.4ghz one caused the problems, starting with that massive heat build up...Im happy yours did not burn out yet!

How did you make your setup more modular? Ive added a little connector (similar to the one the battery uses) so I can remove/swap out the whole fpv system without soldering.

I wish I knew more about electrical engineering!
ONEXTW
Beginner

Post by ONEXTW »

...Im happy yours did not burn out yet!
fingers crossed it doesn't happen :? :)

I'll probably start my own work log and save from hijacking yours.

but as for a brief update, I spent a bit of time today trying the different combinations of camera/transmitter's that I have to try and replicate the problem, this time with a thermometer at hand... I felt like Heisenberg was playing a joke on me... as soon as i tried to measure it, it was nowhere to be found. So anyway I don't think I have a conclusive point of where the problem comes from.

Oh and with making it more modular, that was nothing much, i think i mentioned earlier that the 5.8ghz transmitter had 2mm pitch for the solder points, so i've set all the transmitters to be male connectors all the cameras to be female some other junk too but ill do a full write up of that tomorrow sometime.

Yeah the connector on the EXP ports is very handy to have, i used a 2mm header diagonally across... pins 17,16 (i think)

any developments on the HUD? and have you had any problems with the 3D printed frames?
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

but as for a brief update, I spent a bit of time today trying the different combinations of camera/transmitter's that I have to try and replicate the problem, this time with a thermometer at hand... I felt like Heisenberg was playing a joke on me... as soon as i tried to measure it, it was nowhere to be found. So anyway I don't think I have a conclusive point of where the problem comes from.
Mine only heated up once, caused the damage, and now it stays cool :)
any developments on the HUD? and have you had any problems with the 3D printed frames?
FPV dev has stopped until I can get my flie in the air again :)
The 3d printed frames work well. The pins are a little fragile if one is continuously attaching/removing the frame. I had screws and screw holes to solve that problem though. I want to make some minor adjustments to the frames, right now I would say they are 90% ready.

Do you all use the wide angle lens too?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

From where are you powering the 5v step-up? If you power it from vcc you might overload/overheat the regulator as the FPV setup probably consumes around 100-200mA and the vcc regulator is only rated to 200mA (with good cooling). What you should instead do is to connect it to VCOM (and DGND) which will be the battery voltage when the CF is turned on. VCOM is rated to around 4000mA so 100-200mA wont be a problem.
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

I used pins 16 and 18, soldered a little connected to them as they are next to eachother. I think this corresponds to VCOM and DGND. I played with 17 and 18 (AGND) too.

Cheers
adiego73
Beginner

Post by adiego73 »

Hi! I'm working on a project that uses a crazyflie with a camera, and I'm going to follow your work to accomplish that, but I have few questions about it.

First of all, the receiver in FPV Hobby is out of stock, so I found this: http://www.active-robots.com/shop-by-br ... odule.html Do you know if this receiver is similar to the one of your post?

On the other hand, I've read that you were going to use a 2.4 GHz nano transmitter. Have you tried with one of those? Which one did you use?

I'm not in a rush, but it would be awesome if you upload the camera holder model on http://www.thingiverse.com/ or a similar site..

Thanks and sorry my english :)
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

Hi Adiego,

welcome aboard :)

adiego73 wrote: I'm not in a rush, but it would be awesome if you upload the camera holder model on http://www.thingiverse.com/ or a similar site..
Ive uploaded the model to shapeways, where I ordered mine from: Camera Holder. Ive ordered some more to double test that they work as advertised - they should arrive here in a week or two.
Note you will need the wide angle lens. I have some other (less developed models) that dont require the lens, but they are a little heavier. Or you just use a tiny bit of glue to keep the camera from shaking out :)
adiego73 wrote: First of all, the receiver in FPV Hobby is out of stock, so I found this: http://www.active-robots.com/shop-by-br ... odule.html Do you know if this receiver is similar to the one of your post? On the other hand, I've read that you were going to use a 2.4 GHz nano transmitter. Have you tried with one of those? Which one did you use?
I think the receiver you linked can do the same thing, but it does seem a little more sophisticated. FPVHobby seems to have the 5.8ers in stock again. If you want to use the 5.8er transmitter I did, make sure that whatever receiver you buy supports one of these frequencies:
Ch1:5705mhz , Ch2:5685mhz , Ch3:5665mhz , Ch4:5645mhz , Ch5:5885mhz , Ch6:5905 , Ch7:5925mhz , Ch8:5945mhz.

A 2.4ghz receiver/transmitter also exists. Ive had some bad experience with mine - not sure whats up with it, but others seem to be happy. Its lighter and smaller - you might want to look into that too. Browse these forums, some other people shared their results.

Good luck! And share your results with us ;)

Here is a pic with the 2.4ghz transmitter and the model printed out using a form1 printer. Don't use a switch though, it could potentially cause a destructive LC votage spike.

Cheers