Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
viking
Beginner

Re: Working FPV Camera setup with realtime HUD

Post by viking »

Hello,

As per your advice, here is the new thread :

http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=662

Up to you and all the other Pro's that already have built it!

Thank you again
wcshotgun
Beginner

Post by wcshotgun »

Hey, I'm actually going to attempt to add a camera on the crazyflie nano quad copter that I just assembled a couple days ago. I have a couple questions before I start. First, before I order the parts above, is there anything that you changed or did you add something? Also, can you show me with like a schematic or something about how all the pieces are combined to make this camera work? I will probably be posting on here often with questions I have. Thanks
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

wcshotgun wrote:Hey, I'm actually going to attempt to add a camera on the crazyflie nano quad copter that I just assembled a couple days ago. I have a couple questions before I start. First, before I order the parts above, is there anything that you changed or did you add something? Also, can you show me with like a schematic or something about how all the pieces are combined to make this camera work? I will probably be posting on here often with questions I have. Thanks
Hey, sorry for the late response ;)

I use the parts on the first page. Some people also have good experience with the 2.4ghz transmitter from fpvhobby, but the one I have is a bit wonky, might be broken. So for now im stickign with significantly heavier 5.8ghz system. But that works well enough for a few minutes of flight (read: < 3 minutes). The step up voltage regulator works well and is very important.

The first post details the connections. To identify which pin is which, you will need to have a look at the wiki, there are a few schematics. Or you can look at the flie and the holes you need to connect to are labeled (1,2, 19, 20; from there you can calculate the rest). The camera has 3 wires, red (positive), black (ground), white (video signal). For the transmitter youll need to look at the schematics provided with it. The voltage regulator is clearly labeled on the unit itself.

If you have specific questions or anything you wish to discuss, let us know here!

BTW I just added functionality to the crazyflie client to overlay the camera image onto the attitude indicator (see here).

Good luck and keep us posted!
Pyrex
Beginner

Post by Pyrex »

Did anyone ever release the design for that bracket that holds the camera? I am very interested making one these and I'd like to use that bracket for the camera that thing is very nice!
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

Pyrex wrote:Did anyone ever release the design for that bracket that holds the camera? I am very interested making one these and I'd like to use that bracket for the camera that thing is very nice!

Hi man!
Yup, you can get the model from here. Its probably best to get 2 or 3, its pretty hard to attach them the first time. The pins that go though and keep it in place were sometimes not wide enough (+- in the manufactoring process) so they can be on the "little too wide side".

Let me know if you think the model needs improving!
wcshotgun
Beginner

Post by wcshotgun »

Hey, so Ive been trying this for a while and I can't seem to find the problem. I actually bought this bundle package right here http://www.fpvhobby.com/96-8ghz-micro-combo-set.html

And the only issue I am having is the antenna. Its the same antenna as the crazy radio, however there are only three soldering spots on the transmitter, while there are five solder spots on the antenna. How am I supposed to hook this up? Or did you use some other antenna?
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

[quote="wcshotgun"]there are only three soldering spots on the transmitter, while there are five solder spots on the antenna. How am I supposed to hook this up?/quote]

Hi!
So its pretty easy actually. I dont have my setup here otherwise I would send a picture, but basically 4 of the 5 "pins" are all connected (and touch the "outside" of the antenna) and there is one "pin" that connects to the "antenna core". So just solder 3 of them on to the board and leave the other two alone. Or you could try to put the board in the middle (2 above, 3 below or whatever) and solder them on from both sides (for extra strength).

I'm interested in the camera quality. If you could send some screenshots whats its up and running that would be awesome! Oh, and I strong recommend testing one part at a time. Eg, test the camera directly without the tx/rx first.

Good luck!
wcshotgun
Beginner

Post by wcshotgun »

Thanks I will do that, my last question is right now I have a yellow video cord hooked up to the receiver, and I can only watch the video through a TV. How do you have the video hooked up to the computer?
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

wcshotgun wrote:Thanks I will do that, my last question is right now I have a yellow video cord hooked up to the receiver, and I can only watch the video through a TV. How do you have the video hooked up to the computer?
Used a digitiser, basically yellow cinch -> usb. Should be a link on the first page!
Zicolator
Beginner

Post by Zicolator »

Hey omwdunkley,

I am a big fan of what you have done with the crazyflie so far.

I am trying to implement a live camera feed and hopefully some ROS and OpenCV algorithms using most of the same hardware as you. I had some problems with our transmitter initially (It may be too heavy or it might just draw too much current) and I still have video as well as crazyflie cut-outs at times (which may be related to the wifi in our school).

Right now, however, my main goal is to implement the camera feed in the GUI similar to what you have working. My questions regarding your solution are as follows:

1) What type of operating system are you using? (We are using the crazyflie virtual machine running on a PC with Windows 7)
2) If you are using the same setup, how did you get the video feed to go into the virtual machine? Is it necessary to move USBs over to the virtual machine and reinstall the digitizer software in the CF client?
3) Once the video is coming into the CF virtual machine, what do I need to do to place it in the GUI as you did?

To preface, I don't have much experience with live camera feeds, especially in ubuntu, but i would really like to get at least an elementary system working with the gui, even if it is not as extensive as your own.

Thanks,
Zicolator