Problems integrating external library

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
rampudia
Beginner

Problems integrating external library

Post by rampudia »

Hey!

I added an external library to the project, namely https://github.com/mborgerding/kissfft. To do so I include the header files by adding the corresponding directory to the "INCLUDES += -I ... " in the Makefile and placed the source files I needed in a VPATH folder as suggested in this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4502&p=20601&hilit= ... arm#p20601. The code compiles with "make clean && make" and I am able to flash the Crazyflie but as soon as it finishes then LEDs 1 and 4 turn RED (no blinking) and the self test routine never takes place.

Do you know what could be happening? I first tried this on a separate STM32F4 platform successfully by adding the headers and source files to the project in STM32CubeIDE to see that the problem was not in the code. Any suggestions?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Problems integrating external library

Post by arnaud »

You are likely hitting a hard-fault very early in the boot. The best would be to connect a debugger to the Crazyflie and to use gdb to find the source of the hardfault.

One lead could be to check the memory usage: are you doing anything that uses a lot of stack or try to allocate a lot of memory using malloc?
rampudia
Beginner

Re: Problems integrating external library

Post by rampudia »

Yes, I am using memory allocation for a considerable amount of memory so I think you are right that this is the cause.

I will no longer be pursuing the implementation of this library as I found a better alternative for now to do the FFT ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4844 ) but I did notice on the other solution that dynamically allocating memory inside a thread led to the same fault and when declaring the variables as static in the global scope fixed it so this was helpful.

Thanks!