[Solved] Upgrading to higher rpm motors

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
bma
Beginner

[Solved] Upgrading to higher rpm motors

Post by bma »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get the crazyflie to perform an aggressive and autonomous maneuver. I have also added some extra components, such as the optical flow sensor, which have increased the weight and rendered it too heavy to perform the desired maneuver.

One solution I am pursuing is 3d printing some parts (ie. battery deck) to reduce the weight. However, I am also considering replacing the motors with ones that have a higher kv (rpm/V) rating. I am currently looking a one that has the same physical dimensions, and is rated at 25000 kv as opposed to the 14000 kv for the motors that come with the crazyflie.

That being said, are there any special considerations I have to take to ensure that they would work properly? For example, I imagine that these motors will draw more current, and I believe there is a protection circuit on the battery that limits the current. I could be mistaken.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated!
Last edited by bma on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Upgrading to higher rpm motors

Post by tobias »

Aggressive maneuver sounds fun! You have understood it correct ;). The mosfet drivers are over-dimensioned and the power path shouldn't be any problem. Like you are thinking the battery protection circuit might kick in, you will have to test but I think it is a good idea to switch to a higher performing battery anyway, maybe without a protection circuit, as this is introducing resistance. The nano-tech batteries perform well (no protection circuit), discussed here. Make sure to check the polarity though!

Another thing is that the lifetime of the 25000 kv motors might be very short but probably not a problem for you?
bma
Beginner

Re: [Solved] Upgrading to higher rpm motors

Post by bma »

Thats great! Thanks for the information regarding the batteries. I checked out the ones mentioned in the post and I will try them out. For now though, I will be testing with 350mah and 150mah engpow batteries, and the stock battery included with the 2.1 kit.

I will share my results when I have them!

Also, would it be possible to remove the protection circuit from the batteries?

And yes, I'm willing burn some motors to see if I can get it to work :mrgreen:
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: [Solved] Upgrading to higher rpm motors

Post by tobias »

Also, would it be possible to remove the protection circuit from the batteries?
Yes with some soldering skills, but be careful when you do it and try not to short the battery.