GPS receiver extension

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
cfusting
Beginner

Re: GPS receiver extension

Post by cfusting »

It seems that “phiamo” is already coming up with a “hovering solution”, but as someone noted, I imagine the Crazyflie will still drift around a lot. I wondered about adding some ultrasonic sensors. I’ve used a “Ping” sensor with Arduino before and was able to detect distance up to 10ft down to inches. I’m thinking the rotorwash might interfere though. Even if it did work, it would only be able to keep its position relative to a wall, and no wall existed, it would be useless.
I've been looking into proximity sensors. Given the CF is in hover mode and only moves in the direction of the sensor, it should be possible to detect walls, trees, people, etc. and either retreat or adjust yaw. After a bit of research I've found a sensor capable of dealing with the noisy and windy conditions typical of a CF:

http://www.maxbotix.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors/MB1340.htm

However the minimum voltage is 3.3V (up to 5.5V) and I have been led to believe from other posts on this thread that even with an adjustment to the CF it is possible to drop below this. Has anyone found a manner in which to sustain 3.3V? There are other similar sensors from the same manufacturer that run between 2.5 and 5.5, but they may be more subject to the CF's noise and wind.

Cheers,

_Chris
panguitou
Beginner

Re: GPS receiver extension

Post by panguitou »

cfusting wrote: However the minimum voltage is 3.3V (up to 5.5V) and I have been led to believe from other posts on this thread that even with an adjustment to the CF it is possible to drop below this. Has anyone found a manner in which to sustain 3.3V? There are other similar sensors from the same manufacturer that run between 2.5 and 5.5, but they may be more subject to the CF's noise and wind.
Destiny has already pointed out this solution : http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2114
Jean-Marie