Adding motor drive to generate downward thrust

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
zhanghaijason
Beginner

Adding motor drive to generate downward thrust

Post by zhanghaijason » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Hello,
I am wondering if downward thrust can be generated if I add motor drives to control the four motors. Thanks

tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Adding motor drive to generate downward thrust

Post by tobias » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:32 pm

It depends on what you mean. There are two possible solutions.
1. Reverse the direction of drive of the propeller. This requires a H-bridge driver which the Crazyflie does not have. Would be possible to build on a expansion deck though.
2. Using variable pitch propellers (as on helicopters). I have not seen any design that is small enough for the Crazyflie. It would also require new drive since both the propeller speed and pitch needs to be controlled.

zhanghaijason
Beginner

Re: Adding motor drive to generate downward thrust

Post by zhanghaijason » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 pm

tobias wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:32 pm
It depends on what you mean. There are two possible solutions.
1. Reverse the direction of drive of the propeller. This requires a H-bridge driver which the Crazyflie does not have. Would be possible to build on a expansion deck though.
2. Using variable pitch propellers (as on helicopters). I have not seen any design that is small enough for the Crazyflie. It would also require new drive since both the propeller speed and pitch needs to be controlled.

I guess H-bridge would be the solution since most of the time, upward thrust is used for normal flight and downward thrust is needed not very often.