Understand the firmware of CF2 and modify accordingly

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
waytry
Beginner

Understand the firmware of CF2 and modify accordingly

Post by waytry »

Hi all,

I just started a research project aiming to apply reinforcement learning on the Crazyflie 2. I followed the tutorials provided on the website and installed virtual machine successfully. I also successfully built the firmware in eclipse and flashed using radio. My next step is to modify the firmware so that the Crazyflie can follow a prescribed trajectory. But when I tried to understand the firmware I felt overwhelmed. I have experiences in developing embedded systems but I still don't know how to add my code into the firmware. Are there any resources that introduce the structure and functions of the firmware? I checked the wiki and github pages and only found some basic introductions.

Thanks a lot,
waytry
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Understand the firmware of CF2 and modify accordingly

Post by arnaud »

Passed the intro, the next step for the firmware documentation is the code itself.

Maybe you can tell us a bit more about what you are trying to achieve and we could point you in the right direction.

Our latest blog post actually discuss a bit the process we had to setup the IROS2018 demo: https://www.bitcraze.io/2018/10/the-iros-2018-demo/. In this demo we programmed the Crazyflie to follow a pre-calculated trakectory, first by controlling the Crazyflie from a python script running in the computer and then by implementing the same thing in the Crazyflie firmware.
michaellennox
Beginner

Post by michaellennox »

Hello! It's nice to talk to you. But I still cannot understand the firmware of CF2 and modify it accordingly. Even following your guidelines properly, I am not able to do so.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi,
maybe you can tell us where you are currently blocked so that we can help you go forward?