Leap Motion

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
paulwilkinson
Beginner

Leap Motion

Post by paulwilkinson »

So, I got a hold of one of these today. The coolest thing I can do with it so far is fire up Google Earth (video) and fly around like superman.

Next step obviously is controlling my Crazyflie, but not entirely sure where to start. I will only need to make changes to the client modules presumably.

Most coding I have done recently has been hacking HTML and CSS, so I have some skills/knowledge but Python is new to me.

Any ideas?
mrb0y
Beginner

Re: Leap Motion

Post by mrb0y »

I preordered last year but they don't ship until july. :/ I had the same idea I'm looking to do the same. :D
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Leap Motion + Crazyflie = Awesome!

If it is possible to make the Leap motion device work as a normal joystick driver and make it report 4 analog axis values it should be possible to map it directly in the cf-client.

Another way is to make use of the cflib.
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

Preordered one a couple of months back as well, looking forward to playing around with this idea as well.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Wow! Using this to control the Crazyflie would be awesome!

Anyone have access to the SDK and know if it's possible to interface with this in some way to easily get elevation/right/left?

/Marcus
paulwilkinson
Beginner

Post by paulwilkinson »

I have access to the SDK too, but don't really know much about the latter. The way Google Earth does it is perfect for the Crazyflie.

I have done a bit more digging though, and I think something like this, which makes the Leap Motion appear in the system as a joystick/game controller might work, but it's not exactly a download-and-go windows installer...

Happy to have a play though if someone could give me the (fairly) basic steps.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I recently received my Leap Motion device and started looking into using at as a controller for the Crazyflie. The Leap4Joy, as pointed to by Paul, might be one way but it requires compiling the Leap4Joy code and it is not well documented. Another more clean solution would be to use the Leap Motion python interface and write a controller for the cfclient. I found some example code here. I guess it is just a matter of doing... :D
wisrou
Beginner

Post by wisrou »

Maybe you can take a look at this hack : http://blog.iceddev.com/2013-07-30-cont ... cript.html

They use Leap Motion + NodeJS, then Google Glass + NodeJS to control AR Drone :)
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

There's some code in the pc client repo on the dev-leapmotion branch that can be used for flying with the Leapmotion on Linux. It's just a quick hack to show the concept. There's more info on the wiki in the hacks section.