[SOLVED] Repairing battery electrical connection

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
Mitteau
Expert

[SOLVED] Repairing battery electrical connection

Post by Mitteau »

Hi *
One of the weakest parts in my crazyflie is the electrical connection with the battery. I had discussions on the subject. But very often the battery junction cable with the battery failed low to the breadboard...
I tested a rough solution by soldering a piece of copper on the connection. It fails also and the other side failed too afterwards...
Step 1
P_20180320_111940_r.jpg
Step 2
P_20180321_113926_r.jpg
Finally, I used a larger very flexible electric cable as shown in step 3
P_20180327_094656_r.jpg
One point for an easier soldering is to connect one cable above and the other under the breadboard.
This solution looks much more reliable than the others.
BR
Jean-Claude
Last edited by Mitteau on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Repairing battery electrical connection

Post by tobias »

Yes the battery cable at the soldering point is a bit week when it is e.g. pulled to much. Also it is a bit hard to solder so I think you came up with a good idea. I normally suck out the solder from the holes with a solder vacuum tool. Then it is easy to re-solder it again afterwards.

You are using pretty long cables which might be good in case of battery flying out in crashes. The drawback is that it adds weight and resistance. Also I would protect the soldering between the cables so it can't short circuit.
Mitteau
Expert

Re: Repairing battery electrical connection

Post by Mitteau »

Hi
Concerning solder a cable through the holes of the breadboard should be much better, but as the cable was cut at the soldering point, a bit of wire stayed in the hole and I did not succeed removing it with my vacuum tool.
Concerning the length, it can be shorter, if it is really very flexible to avoid strain at the solder point.
Concerning the solder between the cable and the connector, it is useful to change a bad connector.
Concerning the short circuit, you are totally right. I was hurry to make my cf fly, and I am a bit lazy...
BR
Jean-Claude