Updating the PC Client on windows?

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
mrb0y
Beginner

Updating the PC Client on windows?

Post by mrb0y »

Just curious if any one is using the updates from the repository to update the windows version of the client. If there is a wiki tutorial on this please let me know. If some one has experience doing so please share. I downloaded the .tar but I'm unsure of how to integrate those files into my current client that was installed from the windows msi? Thanks! :roll:
smokedasphalt
Beginner

Re: Updating the PC Client on windows?

Post by smokedasphalt »

Hi, I'm using windows and have hg cloned the pc client's repository. I just need to issue three commands to get the latest client (hg pull, hg update, python bin\cfclient). It's easier than downloading the .tar and copy-pasting files into different directories. If you want the same setup, then install mercurial, install all the python dependencies like PyQT, PyUSB, etc (pre-compiled binaries here for the lazy http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ ;) ), execute python bin\cfclient and you are all set to go! This setup also makes it easier to manage other forks of the client and firmware (for eg, to test out phiamo's hover code.) Hope this helps!
TheFrog4u
Expert

Post by TheFrog4u »

Doning it the same way as smokedasphalt mentioned. Just use hg to clone and update the client. Instead of the phyton command bin\cfclient I just created a shortcut on my desktop to <folder-to-crazyflie-pc-client>\bin\cfclient and if I double click on that shortcut I cam select pyton as program from the list.
mrb0y
Beginner

Post by mrb0y »

Thanks for the information. I had everything installed and before I got CF I uninstalled everything and just used the MSI. I re-installed all the dependencies and I was able to compile and run the cfclient dev version. I also had to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86). There were some specific things for the x64 side of the python that have to be done. I didn't see the hover mode any where on the client? Is it possible to control the CF from the client console with command line arguments? If so where is the information for that? I tried the code example from the The Crazyflie Python API section of the wiki but of course it wouldn't run! Has any one got that working? Here is a screen shot of the error I get...

TheFrog4u
Expert

Post by TheFrog4u »

mrb0y wrote:I didn't see the hover mode any where on the client?
The hover mode is a hack from phiamo. You will have to check out his repo here

1. Create a new folder, e.g. "Hover" and go into it.
2. Clone the repo: "hg clone https://bitbucket.org/phiamo/crazyflie-firmware"
3. Go into the new folder "Hover/crazyflie-firmware" and change to the hover branch: "hg update hover_mode_pid"
4. Complie the firmware: "make"
5. Go back into the Hover folder and clone the client software: "hg clone https://bitbucket.org/phiamo/crazyflie-pc-client"
6. Go into the new folder "Hover/crazyflie-pc-client" and change to the hover branch: "hg update hover_mode"
7. Run the client (no need to compile this) under "Hover/crazyflie-pc-client/bin" and flash the hover firmware to your cf.
8. Further questions should go into the hover thread :)

mrb0y wrote:Is it possible to control the CF from the client console with command line arguments?
I don't think so..
mrb0y
Beginner

Post by mrb0y »

TheFrog4u wrote:
mrb0y wrote:I didn't see the hover mode any where on the client?
The hover mode is a hack from phiamo. You will have to check out his repo here

Thanks for all the good information! You should volunteer to make a wiki entry on these things! :D