The Crazyflie quadrotor performance deteriorates with the increase of experimental time

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
liki
Beginner

The Crazyflie quadrotor performance deteriorates with the increase of experimental time

Post by liki »

Hi everyone,

I am using Crazyflie quadrotor as a platform to study the aggressive maneuver of flying robots. I notice that single quadrotor performance deteriorates with the increase of the experimental time.

In the experiments, the quadrotor is commanded to do some high angular speed maneuvers. I find that one quadrotor's performance deteriorates when it has been used many times. And if I switch to a new crazyflie quadrotor without changing the algorithm, the performance is much better than the old robot. I think high speed maneuver is much more sensitive to the hardware aging than the regular flight.

I think this is because the hardware deteriorates as time goes by. I am wondering if there is any possible exact electrical parts or motors responsible for this? Or is there any method to find the exact part where goes wrong?

Thank you.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: The Crazyflie quadrotor performance deteriorates with the increase of experimental time

Post by tobias »

Sound like really fun and interesting study you are doing. Do you have anything to share, we would love to read about it ;).

I would guess that the battery is the biggest cause of the deteriorated performance and after that the motors. Other things can be the connectors and possibly propellers. Have you tried switching e.g. the battery or motors out?

Have you tired any high performance battery (without protection circuit PCM) like talked about in this blog post?
liki
Beginner

Re: The Crazyflie quadrotor performance deteriorates with the increase of experimental time

Post by liki »

Hi tobias,

Thanks for your reply!

I use the same batteries for the testing of the new and old crazyflie robots. So I think it may be the motors or the connectors. I do not see there is damage on the old robot's propellers, so not sure about it.

I am wondering what exact connectors you are talking about here? Do you mean the connectors between the battery and the board or somewhere else?

Of course, I would love to share my work with you guys. Can I send you my papers to your email address? I would like to keep anonymous in this forum.

Thank you.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I'm a bit surprised if the motors are the part that deteriorates the quickest but it is definitely not unlikely. I will see if I can get some time to do a quick test. I'm not so much betting on the connectors but it would then be the battery connector or the motor connectors.
Of course, I would love to share my work with you guys. Can I send you my papers to your email address?
awesome, please use contact (at) bitcraze.io email address.