Compiling Firmware

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
mrb0y
Beginner

Compiling Firmware

Post by mrb0y »

I updated from in tortoise the firmware repository. I tried compiling the firmware from the virtual machine then copying over to my windows host and uploading from the client bootloader. The compile is done with no errors on the virtual machine side but when I flash the CF and restart into firmware mode I can not connect via radio. I have to go back and flash from the bitbucket repository cflie-2013.4.bin which works. Is there a problem copying from the virtual machine to the host that would some how effect the .bin? I'm running the make command from inside the project/crazyflie-firmware/ directory and it looks to me like the build is successful.
mjc506
Beginner

Re: Compiling Firmware

Post by mjc506 »

Are you trying a quick connect? It's possible that the new firmware changed the radio channel/bitrate (but unlikely I think?)

There should be no issues copying between VM and host, but you could also try bootloading from inside the VM
mrb0y
Beginner

Post by mrb0y »

I think it's more than that there is no self test after restart like with the original firmware.
mjc506
Beginner

Post by mjc506 »

Really? I can't say I've used the updated stock firmware recently to be fair.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

What firmware did you build? I think it is because the firmware wasn't built for bootloader. That wasn't standard in the older firmwares. Make sure it is compiled with "make CLOAD=1" and perhaps "make DEBUG=0 CLOAD=1".
mrb0y
Beginner

Post by mrb0y »

tobias wrote:What firmware did you build? I think it is because the firmware wasn't built for bootloader. That wasn't standard in the older firmwares. Make sure it is compiled with "make CLOAD=1" and perhaps "make DEBUG=0 CLOAD=1".
Everything is working now I had an environment path that required setting and a conflict with a previously installed ARM compiler. I cloned the bitbucket repository, compiled and then uploaded with the propeller self test afterwards. So everything is working on the build and flash side of things. Thanks!