Crazyflie 2 battery charger

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
bracco23
Beginner

Crazyflie 2 battery charger

Post by bracco23 »

Hello,

I ordered a bunch of battery charger to charge my spare batteries. I was thinking of connecting them so use just one cable and one power supply to charge all the batteries.

Are there the schematics of the charger available to see how i have to connect them? how much current will be needed if i want to charge 10 batteries?

Thanks a lot, i will share the result!
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie 2 battery charger

Post by marcus »

Hi,

I've just created a page on the wiki with the layout, schematic and a few pictures of the charger we built for our lab. Each charger will charge at most 500mA so if you can supply 5A you should be good. Don't forget to check the max rating of the connectors.

Let us know how it turn out!
bracco23
Beginner

Post by bracco23 »

After a good week i recieved the chargers and i started connecting them.

Thanks to the schematics (and to marcus for uploading them) i was sure on how to connect them.

Basically, just as in your setup, i have just put in parallel all the connectory, leaving space to use the micro-usb connector but adding another connector. I didn't have available a suitable power suppy, so i used a configurable one (a delta elektronika power supply with three ports, i'm using the one that gives up to 5 A with a constant 5 V output)

Here are the pics:
charger_front.jpg
charger_back.jpg
power_supply.jpg
Unluckly the charger are just a lil bit larger that 4 holes, that means that they do not align perfecty but overlap a little bit. What a pity.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Nice build! We've never actually put the side-by-side before so thanks for the feedback on the width. I've added an issue for the hardware so if we make a new revision we will try to slim down the board.
Xue
Beginner

Post by Xue »

marcus wrote:Hi,

I've just created a page on the wiki with the layout, schematic and a few pictures of the charger we built for our lab. Each charger will charge at most 500mA so if you can supply 5A you should be good. Don't forget to check the max rating of the connectors.

Let us know how it turn out!
Hello,
I've seen the page on the wiki, and following the schematic I made the circuit for charging the battery.
At first four or five times, it works very well. But after that, one of the two capacity was burned. I changed a new capacity, but it was burned again immediately when connecting to the power.
I have checked that all the composants are the same as the schematic, so I can't find where is the problem. Do you have any advice?
Thanks a lot !
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Could you elaborate a bit more. What "capacity" was burnt, did you mean capacitor?
Xue
Beginner

Post by Xue »

tobias wrote:Could you elaborate a bit more. What "capacity" was burnt, did you mean capacitor?
Yes, the capacitor with the value of 4.7uF, which connected to the VDD of the MCP73832 was burnt.
I have changed the value of the resistance from 2k into 5.1k, in order to decrease the electricity. But it works 4 or 5 times again, after that the capacitor was burnt again.
I have no idea where the problem is.
Thanks for your response!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

If the capacitors burnt they did so most likely because of voltage spikes or high voltage. What voltage rating do the capacitors have? Where did you get the charging chip, could it be a fake one?