Firmware Update: Motors Not Spinning

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
tphan
Beginner

Re: Firmware Update: Motors Not Spinning

Post by tphan »

Hi, I am helping dsmith troubleshoot the problem.

Is it correct that the Crazyflie 2.0 can get power from the Big Quad deck if it is receiving 5V from one of the M ports? We are supplying about 5 volts from an external battery instead of attaching an ESC. We are not connecting a 3.7V battery to the Crazyflie.

In this configuration, the Crazyflie does not turn on. But I measured the voltage of VUSB and my meter reads 4.95V, so the Big Quad deck is getting power?

I attached a photo. Thank you for helping us!
Attachments
bigquad.jpg
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Yes the CF2 can be powered from the BQ-deck with 5V. When mounting it the wrong way there is a possibility that something might break but we haven't managed to do so during our tests.

When you say there is a blue light I guess you mean only blue LED M2 goes on? It was not possible to switch it off with the push button either?

Try to:
1. Remove BQ-deck and any battery
2. Connect a powered USB cable while holding the push button for 3-6 seconds until the blue M2 LED starts to blink. Now does the blue M3 LED start to blink?

If the above doesn't work my guess is the VCC 3V is broken in some way. There are two 3V sources. One always on powering the radio nRF51 MCU and one powering the STM32 MCU which is controlled by the nRF51 MCU.
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

Thanks it worked! I tested out the voltage for the VCC 3V and it read 2.9V. Should it read exactly 3V?

Here are the voltages I tested out:
Ground --> VCC 3V = 2.9V
Ground --> VUSB = 2.62V
Ground --> VCOM = 3.54V
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I interpret it as it worked to long press the power button to get into bootloader mode? When you get into this mode does both blue LED blink?

The voltages looks fine so we have to continue troubleshooting. Have you re-flashed the CF2? Sounds now like there can be a "broken" FW on it. Try flashing the CF2 with a stable release.
tphan
Beginner

Post by tphan »

We reflashed the firmware using crazyflie-2016.02.zip successfully!

Using 3.7V battery, and no bigquad deck attached, and the cfclient communicating with the crazyflie, the voltages were the same (VCC = 2.9V, VCOM = 3.69V, VUSB = 2.63V)

But when we attached the big quad deck with a 5V supply connected to M4, the crazyflie cannot turn on, so we cannot connect the cfclient to it. In this configuration, the voltages on the crazyflie are:
VCC = 0.85V
VCOM = 1.35V (see picture)
VUSB = 5.13V

We are using big quad decks that have been modified to be compatible with the Loco positioning system. Is that related to our problem?
Attachments
bigquad2.jpg
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Things are starting to point in the direction that something is wrong with the bigquad-deck. Could you try powering the cf2 on the expansion port without the deck attached. Power with 5v on VUSB and GND.

How much current does the cf2 and bigquad-deck consume when they are connected together. Might be a short somewhere.

Does the cf2 run fine powered only from usb? And last thing if you attach the bigquad-deck and power it only from USB does that work?
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

When I tried to power the CF2 with 5V on VUSB and GND, the CF2 did not turn on and we figured out that the VUSB wasn't working.

I'm currently using a new CF2 and everything is working well, the VUSB works just fine. I just flashed it with the new firmware and here is the photo of the console.
Attachments
2016-06-30 10_57_21-Not connected.png
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

A last check as it can be the contact in the expansion header that has been pushed in. Can you power the CF2 with a uUSB cable?
djsmith217
Beginner

Post by djsmith217 »

Yes, I was able to power the new CF2 by USB. Also, when I updated the firmware all 4 rotors on the new CF2 beeped once when powering on. Though when I powered it on by battery and USB cable the new CF2 rotors only beeped twice.

In addition, here are the results from our Current Test:
- Not Connected to cfclient: 0.08A or 83-85mA
- Connected to cfclient: 0.1A or 104-108mA

(Theses are the current flow results for both going through the VUSB and the BQD)
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Did you do the test on the none working cf2 or only on the new one? I was mainly interested in what is wrong with the "broken" one.

When powering only through USB (no battery) then motor drivers aren't really powered and the motors only spin a little. I think that is what you are seeing.

The currents look just as they should. Is this measurements from the broken one?