How can we develop without VM?

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
MechGok
Beginner

How can we develop without VM?

Post by MechGok »

Hello Everyone,

I have Crazyflie 1.0 and Crazyflie 2.0. Currently Iam using Bitcraze VM 0.8 to implement my control algorithms by changing the crazyflie-firmware and flashing to my Crazyflie 2.0. I want to use recently updated versions of "crazyflie-firmware" and "crazyflie-clients-python", that's why I clone this repository to their corresponding directions. But it did not work. Error occured about lacking of .project file.

Can anyone please explain in detail how to all required programs to our own OS (mine is Ubuntu 14.04)? And also how can we associate "crazyflie-firmware" and "crazyflie-clients-python" with a project in Eclipse to build and flash?

Iam a mechatronics PhD student, that's why Iam having difficulties regarding to programming. If I can have a chance to create my own development environment, I want to contribute this area by implementing my control ideas.

Thank you in advance
chad
Expert

Re: How can we develop without VM?

Post by chad »

Instead of cloning the repositories, why not just update them to the latest:

Code: Select all

cd ~/projects/crazyflie-firmware
git checkout master
git pull

cd ~/projects/crazyflie-clients-python
git checkout master
git pull
Then you have the most recent code in both repositories without having to clone them again or change your development environment.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
MechGok
Beginner

Post by MechGok »

Thank you for your response chad, I will try it soon.

What about preparing the development environment in my own OS without using VM? Can anyone explain this step-by-step? For example how to install all required softwares that are included in VM to our own OS and configuring Eclipse for the project to build and flash?
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

There are a couple ways you can develop without the VM.

One is: use the toolbelt and Docker images. Of course, that's still technically a VM and not really "native" on your computer.

For native: you'll want to set-up your system like the dev env wiki page details. For developing on Crazyflie 1 and 2 both, you'll want to use gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2014q4 instead of what's listed on the wiki. You can check my blog post about compiling. It was written for Mac but should be mostly applicable to linux - the script linked there might work on Linux but you'll definitely have to change the url of the GCC download as the one in the script is for Mac... I also have a post about setting up eclipse (which was written for Mac as well but should be mostly applicable to Linux). Setting up eclipse from scratch is a lengthy process...
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

BTW, I've moved this thread to the Crazyflie Development sub-forum.
theseankelly
Expert

Post by theseankelly »

There's also this, which teaches you how to roll your own Linux VM. Same instructions apply to a native Linux install:
https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:virtu ... :create_vm

I'm actually using windows natively (well, and Cygwin...) to do all my development. I should probably write a wiki page on how to set that up, huh? :D
http://www.thejumperwire.com
Tips, tutorials, and science about DIY electronics, drones, and embedded software.
bjorn
Bitcraze

Post by bjorn »

Yes you should :-)
theseankelly
Expert

Post by theseankelly »

http://www.thejumperwire.com
Tips, tutorials, and science about DIY electronics, drones, and embedded software.
MechGok
Beginner

Post by MechGok »

Again Hello Everyone,

Thanks to chad's comments, I followed the page https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:virtu ... :create_vm in order to prepare the development environment in my own computer (Ubuntu 14.04). Then I followed the page http://blog.crazyflie.net/?p=28 step-by-step but at the end of 8)h) when I try to build the target by right click “Make CLOAD” target and select “Build Target” I got the following error:

make all DEBUG=0 CLOAD=1 
  CLEAN_VERSION
  CC    list.o
make: arm-none-eabi-gcc: Command not found
make: *** [list.o] Error 127
Error says that arm-none-eabi-gcc: Command not found but I already set the path as ${PATH}:/home/turtle/bin/gcc-arm-none-eabi/bin and in that directory there exist arm-none-eabi-gcc executable file.

How can I solve the problem?

Thank you in advance