[SOLVED] Poweroff crazyflie

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
Mitteau
Expert

[SOLVED] Poweroff crazyflie

Post by Mitteau »

Hello everybody
Is it possible to power-off crazyflie, from the GUI client ?
thanks !
Jean-Claude
Last edited by Mitteau on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Poweroff crazyflie

Post by arnaud »

Hi Jean-Claude,
The Crazyflie can switch itself off but it is not accessible from the ground. Moreover it has not been implemented yet for crazyflie 2 (https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-f ... 405.c#L132).

Switching the copter off has been tested on the nRF51 side so sending a syslink packet with type "SYSLINK_PM_ONOFF_SWITCHOFF " would turn-off the copter. When that it done it should be possible to add a parameter to switch off the copter from the client.
/Arnaud
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

Thanks Arnaud, I will test this when my other problems will bi solved...
Bye
Jean-Claude
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Another idea is to let the CF2 go to low power becon mode ore similar so it could automatically be woken up from a BLE device or a transceiver. Fully possible by hardware only software missing ;)
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

Hi
Same question but to power up???
Regards
J.-C.
Mitteau
Expert

Re: Poweroff crazyflie + up

Post by Mitteau »

Something like wakeonlan
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

For wakeup it is the same basic answer: possible in hardware but lacks software support :-).

In Crazyflie 2.0 the nRF51 chip, the radio/bluetooth microcontroller, is in charge of power management and is always powered. When the copter is OFF, the nRF51 is in deep sleep waiting for the button to be pressed. So it would be possible to wake it up every 10sec to ping the air and find out if the copter needs to be wake-up, this would not use a lot of energy and it is the way things like bluetooth keybob are working.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

I would just add that remote OFF is fairly easy to implement. Remote ON would require more design and work. Tell me if you intend to give it a shot maybe we can synch that with a new "passive scanning" mode for the crazyflie connection: Currently the crazyflies are listenning and the Crazyradio is actively scanning all possible channels. We plan to change that in a way where the Crazyflie would send beacon and the Crazyradio/PC client is just listening the air to discover the Crazyflies. This could then the the base for an auto-ON feature where the nRF51 wakes-up at regular interval sending a beacon.
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

Presently, I am lost in various difficulties: with althold (craft drop down when I switch to althold mode, window en GUI client never greyed), my cf's motors are out, I think, I had to solder wired bridges... my cf is wounded, radioPA too ! But I am still on the job and I will test these solutions in next weeks. Stay in touch.
The reason to get radio on/off is that my on/off physical switch is out of service. I will buy another cf but when things will be clair in my mind.
On positive thing is that I obtained CrazyradioPA case with 3D print. It worked perfect.
Truly yours, and thanks for your hints.
Jean-Claude
PhilipMC
Beginner

Post by PhilipMC »

My power switch broke as well. The button popped out. I am currently switching it with a bent paperclip placed around the switch to touch the contacts on the pcb.
https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/ tell me that they are getting some switches :)