idea for improving the motor mounts even more

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
bhuism
Beginner

idea for improving the motor mounts even more

Post by bhuism »

The motor mounts allow for the bottom of the motor (the wires) to touch the ground, and if you land a lot/hard it will wear down, like this:
motormountwearandtear.jpg
motormountwearandtear.jpg (149.89 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
I think this can be easily fixed by making sure the bottom of the mount is not open but closed with plasic :D just an idea...
foosel
Expert

Re: idea for improving the motor mounts even more

Post by foosel »

It's intentional: --> Click <--
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
bhuism
Beginner

Post by bhuism »

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't seen that thread.
I still do think that closing the bottom will improve the motor mount's overall quality, cause you can not land and skid on the wires or bottom of the motors anymore.
Adding soft material can optionally always be done as extra.
Just my 2 cents.
jweather
Beginner

Post by jweather »

I agree that the wires should be shielded better, although I understand the need to let the motors slide rather than breaking a mount or an arm. There are various materials you can add to protect the wires... I just trimmed down a piece of adhesive-backed Velcro to make four little dots. I used the fuzzy side, otherwise it never would have taken off again from my carpet!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Thanks for you comments!
We are in the process of adjusting the motor mounts. We actually used a stiffer plastic for our first prototypes and then the built in stop was sufficient but we changed to a softer plastic (PP) which turned out to have many advantages, and apparently this disadvantage... We will not close it completely as it would prevent it from expanding when you insert the motor but we will make the stop bigger.

Until then check you motors after a hard landing and push them back or add e.g. some cut out furniture paw to the bottom of the motor/mount.
bhuism
Beginner

Post by bhuism »

I agree, maybe make the "tube" (where the motors are inserted in) a bit longer, and halfway put a ring to stop the motors from sliding to the bottom of the "tube" completely, this way you always land on the plasic.
btw: I'm sure you guys make a fine new version of the mounts, you probaply don't need my advice 8-) . I am especially happy with how strong the CF is in general, it has become a beautiful as well as a very strong design, thank you for your hard work, its a lot of fun! :D
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

There is always room for improvement so all ideas and thoughts are welcome! I have attached a picture of the new draft version :)
Attachments
MMv2.jpg
MMv2.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
bhuism
Beginner

Post by bhuism »

:D Where can I buy 'em?
smiler

Post by smiler »

tobias wrote:There is always room for improvement so all ideas and thoughts are welcome! I have attached a picture of the new draft version :)
Are the mounts 3d-printable with decent results?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Not the moulded mount above. It has to thin walls but our old motor mount is available in the mechanical repository.