Developer Environment and Client on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Jessie

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
hittstick
Beginner

Re: Developer Environment and Client on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Jessie

Post by hittstick »

I haven't tried using eclipse extensively with the RPi3, yet, but is it necessary? Is there a less resource intensive option?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

No, no editor is necessary. The only required part to build Crazyflie is arm-none-eabi-gcc and make. For the client you need python3 and the right python libs. Everything else is your choice. The only advantage of eclipse is that we know how to setup the debugger in it (I debug so seldom that I usually end up using gdb directly anyway ...).

Geany should be a good editor since it understands C and it is installed by default in raspian. Unfortunately I could not manage to configure it properly to make the Crazyflie firmware.
hittstick
Beginner

Post by hittstick »

I've hit my first big snag. What controller are you using with the RPi3? I got a ps3 controller and the pi seems to detect it just fine, and the client appears to recognize it, but I'm not getting any output even after following all of the instructions on the web page (and yes, I've tried pressing the ps3 button in the middle many times with no effect). Is there something I'm missing?

###UPDATE###

I'm not sure what went right, but after restarting (again) and going into the bluetooth settings and trying to pair the controller (it said the pairing failed but then prompted for a password, this was strange) I was able to configure the controller in the client and use it to fly, although currently the joysticks are the only things that work. I have to be connected to usb (the instructions about setting up the ps3 controller with bluetooth have a link to setting up sixad, this is outdated, the ppa throws a 404 not found when invoking "sudo apt-get update"). I was able to close the client and fly again after charging the battery on the CF, but I definitely have some work ahead coming up with a controller mapping that utilizes more of the buttons.

In other news, I broke the power button assembly, and now I can only turn the CF on/off by connecting/disconnecting the battery. Sigh.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

As for the button you can try to replace it. Have a look at this post. You could also use e.g. a pair of tweezers and short over the button when you need to enter boot loading mode.