Where are the latest binaries?

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
humblehacker

Where are the latest binaries?

Post by humblehacker »

Hello.
I have a 1st Gen CF+CR for which I would like to update both the CF and CRadio to the most recent firmware.
Until recently the firmware upgrade process seemed to be simple enough... All I had to do was go to the Bitbucket "Downloads" page and grab the latest precompiled .bin file. As a longtime Github user, I fully understand the move from Bitbucket to Github, but it seems that there are no longer any precompiled binaries available for download from the Github page. Furthermore, instructions for building the code from source still refers to the old bitbucket host and is deprecated in many ways.

I've even setup the most recent VM 0.6 in the hopes it would make flashing much easier, but all the instructions still reference the outdated binaries on Bitbucket. Are there more updated step-by-step instructions available?
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Where are the latest binaries?

Post by marcus »

Hi,

I've included the link to the latest pre-built binaries for the CF1 and Crazyradio below. We know it's currently a bit hard to find the downloads. During the fall we started working on a few scripts and a site where we could easily upload files and it would create torrents and download links for us. Our idea was to collect all binaries, VM, SD-image, etc on one site. Unfortunately we got swamped and put the work on hold. When we get back from the hollidays we will set up a simple page (probably at download.bitcraze.se) with links to everything so it's a bit easier.

Unfortunately there's not more up to date instructions on how to build the firmware. We are working on adding/re-writing information on the wiki, but we are a bit behind.

Latest firmware for CF1
Latest firmware for Crazyradio (not PA)
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

OK. Will give those links a try.
We know it's currently a bit hard to find the downloads. During the fall we started working on a few scripts and a site where we could easily upload files and it would create torrents and download links for us. Our idea was to collect all binaries, VM, SD-image, etc on one site. Unfortunately we got swamped and put the work on hold. When we get back from the hollidays we will set up a simple page (probably at download.bitcraze.se) with links to everything so it's a bit easier.
I've always found Github's "Release's Workflow" (https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software) to be more than adequate for .bin files like the cflie firmware. Especially since the code is open source and frequently updated. I think when I've done it in the past the trick was to create a gh-pages branch as a "project wiki' separate from the source code repository.
Of course the usual solution is to use an artifact repository service like nexus, but in this case I think Github would work.
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Unfortunately there's not more up to date instructions on how to build the firmware. We are working on adding/re-writing information on the wiki, but we are a bit behind.
Any hints as to where to begin? The steps outlined for upgrading within the VM don't appear to be working- http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyradio:programming
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

The client has been updated to work with the Crazyflie 1.0 now, if you pull the latest version it should be ok. We also uploaded the newest versions of the Crazyradio firmware to GitHub. I've also update the instruction on the Crazyradio for updating from the VM. Could you give it another try?
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

The new instructions for the VM seem to work in that I got as far as "Verification Succeeded". However, when I try to confirm the firmware version with

Code: Select all

> lsusb -d 1915:7777 -v | grep bcdDevice
it just returns an

-d: command not found
I don't know if this is a minor detail or not.

P.S- Nice job on the gh-releases workflow. :)
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

A more serious problem seems to have emerged in that the CR is no longer recognized by the cfclient when running natively on my Ubuntu desktop. I made sure to update it to the most recent version from the gh-repo and confirmed the udev permissions etc... I had been running the VM as a guest on a Windows machine, but run the client natively on an Ubuntu partition for regular use. I'll try using the Android app to confirm whether or not it works on that platform...
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

When running the command in the VM 0.6 I get the following:

bitcraze@bitcraze-vm:~$ lsusb -d 1915:7777 -v | grep bcdDevice
  bcdDevice            0.53
humblehacker wrote:A more serious problem seems to have emerged in that the CR is no longer recognized by the cfclient when running natively on my Ubuntu desktop. I made sure to update it to the most recent version from the gh-repo and confirmed the udev permissions etc... I had been running the VM as a guest on a Windows machine, but run the client natively on an Ubuntu partition for regular use. I'll try using the Android app to confirm whether or not it works on that platform...
When you insert the Crazyradio does the LEDs light up and then go off? If you run lsusb do you see the Crazyradio PA?
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Just to clarify, the lsusb output I posted earlier appeared within the VM after it confirmed successful flashing of the CR firmware. I normally use the cfclient on my desktop running Ubuntu 14.04 natively, however, and this is where the problems appeared.

As I mentioned, I confirmed that the UDEV permissions had been set.
The lsusb output reads-
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1915:7777 Nordic Semiconductor ASA
Does this mean the Crazyradio firmware did not flash?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

To get the version of your Crazyradio firmware you can use this command (it should say "Crazyradio USB Dongle" and NOT "Crazyradio PA USB Dongle" if you have a Crazyradio without PA):

$ lsusb -d 1915:7777 -v | grep 'bcdDevice\|iProduct'
  bcdDevice            0.53
  iProduct                2 Crazyradio USB Dongle
For the client, what does the help/about box debug tab says about the Crazyradio. Can you copy-paste the contend of this tab here?