OpenPandora with Crazyflie

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
allclone
Beginner

OpenPandora with Crazyflie

Post by allclone »

I was wondering if anyone ells had thought about doing this, I need to do some updates to my Pandora to get a newer kernal and a version of python > 2.7 installed. Seams like it would be a perfect combo, it has two analog sticks and a USB port for the wireless radio. I will post my own updates as I make / get stuck along the way.

If you have not heard of openpandora its another open source hardware project.
http://www.openpandora.org

Seams like this could be an awesome combo.
SuperRoach

Re: OpenPandora with Crazyflie

Post by SuperRoach »

First thing I thought of as well. First off the pygui won't work properly, as the Pandorascreen iisn't vertically tall enough, but that's ok when you use screen scrolling.

On top of that I will check the dependencies...

Oh also, I'm not sure what type of usb the radio is. If it's hispeed (12mbit) you will need a Hub to have it be recognised.
allclone
Beginner

Post by allclone »

I have made some progress, I loaded a version of Arch Linux instead of the default OpenPandoraOS/Ångström. I was able to build all the packages for the client pyGame, pyQt etc. pyUSB was the hardest as I had to get the source as there was not an ARM version of it available. I got the GUI running, the bottom edge of the GUI was cut off but it did function correctly.

As for the USB issue, I and a friend managed to get it working but we had to use a 3rd party hub as OpenPandora only supports USB 2.0 for the main USB port and it seams the crazyradio is < 2.0 from what I can tell. We did manage to get the radio working with the python GUI, the response was a little slow showing updates from the copter with the UI.

I ran out of time in the day to mess around with setting the numbs/analog sticks up as the controls but if I can get that to work it should be all working.

The only down side is the 3rd party hub which adds more equipment to the setup, supposedly the OTG port supports both 1.0 - 2.0 USB devices but I do not have a converter on hand at the moment to test with.

It would be nice to have a cli version of the client as the UI is not entirely need as config files could be used to setup values for flight controls (similar to the headless client that is being built for RaspberryPi).
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Greatly done!

There is a (beta) headless client in the repository called cfheadless (in the dev-headless branch) that's been used successfully with RaspPI. http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

That's great news allclone!

Was it tricky to install another distro? I suspected ang' would have been very dificult to alter.

Having the OP work as a go to setup would be extremely usefull to show off the crazyflie - The controller is the host base.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi allclone,

Great work!
allclone wrote: As for the USB issue, I and a friend managed to get it working but we had to use a 3rd party hub as OpenPandora only supports USB 2.0 for the main USB port and it seams the crazyradio is < 2.0 from what I can tell. We did manage to get the radio working with the python GUI, the response was a little slow showing updates from the copter with the UI.
Does the LEDs on the Crazyradio go off when it's plugged in? What does the log say about the device?

/Marcus
Plloi
Beginner

Post by Plloi »

marcus wrote: Does the LEDs on the Crazyradio go off when it's plugged in? What does the log say about the device?
OP's Friend here,

When plugged directly to the device the radio LEDs turned on and stayed on, and the OS log gave the generic "unable to enumerate USB device on port #" linux USB device error.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi,
Plloi wrote: When plugged directly to the device the radio LEDs turned on and stayed on, and the OS log gave the generic "unable to enumerate USB device on port #" linux USB device error.
It might be this issue that is described here even though it's not USB3. Any chance you could try and update to the latest Crazyradio firmware? We don't have the binary uploaded yet but there's instruction on how to build/flash here.

/Marcus
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

Allclone did you have any luck?

I had enumeration problems trying to plug it in to the angstrom os as well.
Plloi
Beginner

Post by Plloi »

Updated firmware today, Same issue.