CrazyFlie altitude hold problem

Post here to get support
MrCoocy
Beginner

CrazyFlie altitude hold problem

Post by MrCoocy »

Hi,

i have troubles getting the altitude hold mode running.
I downloaded the firmware and the pc client right here: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php? ... 3351#p3351

The client is running and i can configure my ps3 controller with the "altitude-hold-button".

But if i start and connect the CrazyFlie, he powers the engines to maximum speed although the thrust is at 0% (the new firmware is already flashed and before the new firmware i was able to fly normally)

Also if i click the configurated "altitude-hold-button" at the controller while the quadcopter is running i get following errors:
WARNING:cflib.crazyflie.toc:Unable to find variable [flightmode.althold]
WARNING:cflib.crazyflie.param:Cannot set value for [flightmode.althold], it's not in the TOC!
Im running a Ubuntu 13.10 on my Laptop!

I hope you can help me,

Greetings!
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: CrazyFlie altitude hold problem

Post by tobias »

Can you try with the Crazyflie_2013.11-beta1.bin firmware and cfclient-2013.11-beta1.tar.gz client instead which also supports altitude hold. Blog post.
MrCoocy
Beginner

Post by MrCoocy »

Hi tobias,

Thank you very much, that works!!

Greetings
qubitter
Beginner

Post by qubitter »

I have the same problem but with my CF2. Is there a different copy of the firmware?
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

qubitter wrote:I have the same problem but with my CF2. Is there a different copy of the firmware?
Are you using both the latest release of the client and the latest release of the firmware?
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
derf
Expert

Re: "Couldn't enable mode:AltHold, it's not in the TOC!"

Post by derf »

@qubitter: Please don't hijack old and solved topics if your issue or question is not directly related to the original topic!
I deleted your post:
qubitter wrote:Problem! Whenever I hit the designated AltHold button on the controller, the Terminal window gives this error:

Warning! Couldn't enable mode:AltHold, it's not in the TOC!

or something like that.

Please help!
Please provide more details about your environment:
  • Which version of the Crazyflie firmware do you use?
  • Which version of the Crazyflie Python client do you use?
  • Do you see the altHold parameter in the parameter tab?
qubitter
Beginner

Post by qubitter »

Yes to both. I am using the VM, and I see the altHold in the Parameters tab. I run the update script once a week, so I trust that they are the most recent versions. I am running this on my MacBook Air 2014 with VirtualBox. I am also using a Sony PS3 controller and the Crazyradio PA
alpergul
Beginner

Post by alpergul »

Hi all,

I also get same problem about hovering. I just downloaded bin. file and 2013.11-beta1client from the links provided above. I think it should hover when i press the altitude hold button however, it does not happen anything. If you reply back, i really appreciate.

WARNING:cflib.crazyflie.toc:Unable to find variable [flightmode.althold]
WARNING:cflib.crazyflie.param:Cannot set value for [flightmode.althold], it's not in the TOC!
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

alpergul wrote:I just downloaded bin. file and 2013.11-beta1client from the links provided above.
That client and firmware are pretty old. Do you have a Crazyflie Nano (1.0) or a Crazyflie 2.0? Download the latest client from the GitHub releases page and the latest firmware from the firmware GitHub releases page.

What controller are you using? Make sure the correct controller profile for your controller is being used in the client and that the profile has the alt-hold functionality mapped to a button and you are hitting the right button. You can check the mapping directly in the JSON file in "crazyflie-clients-python/conf/input" (search for "key": "althold").

If you need help doing any of this or you're sure you've done it all and the alt-hold still seems to not do anything, please post back.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
lgenzelis
Beginner

Post by lgenzelis »

Hello! I hope this thread is still alive (if you think this should go in a separate thread, let me know and I'll do it). I'm also having problems with the altitude hold mode. I'm using a Logitech controller. I tried several configurations (detailed next), and always got the same problem.

- VM with client updated (master branch) and latest firmware from https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-release/releases
- VM with client updated (master branch) and firmware updated via github (master branch)
- Ubuntu machine (i.e., no VM) with the same two configurations respecting the firmware
- Ubuntu machine with client updated (**develop** branch) and the two mentioned configurations respecting the firmware

The ASL Target field from the GUI is always greyed out (sometimes it says 'not set', something it just says nothing, but it never shows a value). Whenever I press the button I associated with hold mode, all the motors go instantanously to almost full speed, and then go back to zero when I release the button. The same happens whether I'm touching the controller thrust throttle or not. The flightmode.althold parameter changes to 1 when I press the button, and goes back to 0 when I release it, as expected.

I attached the json file corresponding to the controller configuration, because there's something odd about it. Notice that the id correponding to "althold" is the same as the id corresponding to "pitch". If I change the id (manually, from the file) to something different, the althold button doesn't do anything.
Attachments
TestMode.txt
Changed extension from json to txt, otherwise I couldn't upload it
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 275 times