[SOLVED]PS3 Controller seen as Xbox 360 peripheral

Post here to get support
DerShu
Beginner

[SOLVED]PS3 Controller seen as Xbox 360 peripheral

Post by DerShu »

Greetings,

I am posting my problem here hoping at least one other user has seen the problem I am seeing. First of all, everything works great with the BitCraze virtual machine on my desktop PC so I think that my genuine PS3 controller is OK. I need this to work on my Windows XP laptop for portability, and that is where I am seeing the problem. When I install the PS3 controller with MotionInJoy the controller appears as a "dualshock 3/sixaxis" which it is. It passes the simple vibration test in the MotionInJoy DS3 Tool with no problem. However, when I check in Windows XP Device Manager the controller appears under the heading of "XBOX 360 Peripherals" as a "MotionInJoy Virtual Xinput device for Windows". The CrazyFlie PC Client also sees it as a "MotionInJoy Virtual Xinput device for Windows". This mixup produces some strange mappings for the buttons and no function at all for the for the analog joysticks. I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how MotionInJoy is correctly identifying the controller but somehow installing the wrong drivers? I am really hoping that someone on the forum here can help me get past this problem that I can not seem to figure out. Everything works so beautifully in the virtual machine on my desktop, and is so stubbornly scrambled up on my old WinXP laptop. I would just run the VM on my laptop if I could but the laptop is too underpowered to run the VM. I tried. :oops:
Last edited by DerShu on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: PS3 Controller seen as Xbox 360 peripheral

Post by tobias »

I have successfully used another driver on WinXP which isn't as sophisticated though. Have a look here.
DerShu
Beginner

Post by DerShu »

tobias wrote:I have successfully used another driver on WinXP which isn't as sophisticated though. Have a look here.
Thank you very much for your rapid reply, Tobias!!

Unfortunately, I have already tried the method that you linked me to and several others as well, and they all fail worse than MotionInJoy. By that I mean that the Windows Device Manager does not even show that a new device was installed. With MotionInJoy the program recognizes the PlayStation 3 DualShock SixAxis controller, but it installs a driver for Xbox 360 controller. I know that the controller is good because it works fine with the VM in my desktop PC. I think that means that something is not right with my laptop, but other USB devices including CrazyRadio work fine, so I am wondering if there is something wrong with my OS software. I just found an old Windows XP install CD with hologram sticker that I accidentally bought too many of quite a few years ago. That will give another system software to try. IF that does not work I am going to have to try either an Xbox 360 controller of eBay or perhaps install Ubuntu and try it. I am a bit afraid of Ubuntu since that will add a whole new learning curve just to get started flying CrazyFlie. :oops: If you or anyone else has any other suggestions to try I will be very happy to try them!
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DerShu
Beginner

Post by DerShu »

Just finished installing a completely new shrink wrap version of WinXP. MotionInJoy was again an EPIC FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I notice that their web site has quite a few unanswered problem reports concerning their software failing. Strangely Windows correctly identified my PlayStation 3, but installed the Windows generic USB game controller driver for it. Then MotionInJoy installed Xbox 360 drivers????????

Going to order an Xbox 360 controller and hope that works. :evil:
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

It was a long time ago I used Win XP and PS3 controller by I recall having problems with the MotionInJoy driver as well so I don't think it is the best to use in XP. I did not have any problems with the other driver though, it worked straight away.
DerShu
Beginner

[SOLVED] PS3 Controller seen as Xbox 360 peripheral

Post by DerShu »

tobias wrote:It was a long time ago I used Win XP and PS3 controller by I recall having problems with the MotionInJoy driver as well so I don't think it is the best to use in XP. I did not have any problems with the other driver though, it worked straight away.
My wireless Xbox 360 controller arrived today and it worked right out of the box. I find it's control mappings to be a bit strange though, so I need to figure out how to remap the controls to be a bit more like single seat aircraft. I want to get it so that pitch and roll are in the right hand stick and throttle on the left. I really hope that I can find a way to separate yaw from throttle. I wonder if the analog triggers could be used to increment and decrement yaw input?
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: [SOLVED]PS3 Controller seen as Xbox 360 peripheral

Post by tobias »

You can remap the controller in the "input device->Configure device mapping" menu. The combined axis input does not seem to work well for the xbox 360 controller though. What you can do is too change the sensitivity of the yaw in the Advanced flight control section in the flight control tab to maybe 100 in the beginning to make it easier.
DerShu
Beginner

Re: [SOLVED]PS3 Controller seen as Xbox 360 peripheral

Post by DerShu »

tobias wrote:You can remap the controller in the "input device->Configure device mapping" menu. The combined axis input does not seem to work well for the xbox 360 controller though. What you can do is too change the sensitivity of the yaw in the Advanced flight control section in the flight control tab to maybe 100 in the beginning to make it easier.
Ahhhhh yes, it very easily remapped to exactly what I wanted!!!! :D
Thank you very much for your patient help!!!

Now everything seems to be working perfectly, but I must go to the USA tomorrow for a family holiday get together. I guess that I must wait until next year to start polishing my piloting skills. ;)