[SOLVED]How to get the PS3 controller running

Post here to get support
alex
Expert

[SOLVED]How to get the PS3 controller running

Post by alex »

Hey Crazyflie addicts,

I'd like to get my original PS3 controller working with the Crazyflie PC Client. But so far, I didn't manage to do so. I'm running Win 7 64 bit and the controller is recognized by the OS when connecting it per USB. It shows up in the Windows control panel and the input device configuration dialog of the Crazyflie PC Client lists it correctly.
Nevertheless, neither the input device configuration dialog nor the flight data panel in the main window shows any reaction when moving the controller's stick around.

I used that "inf-wizard.exe" which ships with the libUSB package to install some filter driver or something like that. Seems a little bit strange to me, afterwards the controller didn't show up in the system or the Crazyflie PC Client anymore. This forced me to kick it out of the Windows device manager in order to get it recognised properly by the OS again.

What do I have to do in order to get this thing running? :? All these different layers of USB libs and filters and stuff confuses me in some way, so please tell me what to do in a few simple steps!

Thank you very much.

-alex
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: How to get the PS3 controller running

Post by arnaud »

Hi alex,

We discovered this problem only recently as we have mostly been using Linux and, WinXP which works great with the PS3 Gamepad.

At the very least the gamepad has nothing to do with libusb and so you should uninstall the driver you installed (from the windows device manager) and/or relaunch the Libusb filter wizard to uninstall the the filter.

It seems that the way to go for the playstation gamepad on Windows 7 is a custom driver called Motionjoy (form here http://www.motioninjoy.com/download). With that installed the joystick should start to be detected by cfclient.

Good luck and feel free to share any success/configuration when you find it :-)
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

I heard of that MotionJoy driver before, thanks for pushing me back in line. I'll give it a try and post my experience as soon as I have some time left.
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

Ok, I finally managed to get the controller working with the Crazyflie PC Client by installing the MotioninJoy driver (German guide: http://www.mybenni.de/blog/ps3-controller-am-pc-nutzen/). Thanks so far. Nevertheless it is pain in the ass to get everything up on Win7 64 bit as most drivers aren't digitally signed. This requires to install some dubious tools to open undocumented ways (e.g. Windows test mode) to get these drivers to work on 64 bit Windows. And in the end, the solution still isn't simple and easy to use. I would like to concentrate on flying and configuring the Crazyflie rather than struggling with the software environment and buggy tools.

Just downloaded the Ubuntu Bitcraze VM and gave it a try on Virtual Box. "Amazing" is all I have to say. Though I hardly used Linux before, it seems that this is a well-configured environment, hopefully well-documented soonly. Everything is running out-of-the-box, including the controller. Thank you guys, it's fun to explore this project with this VM. Please keep up this idea at all costs.

- an enthusiastic user
individual11
Beginner

Post by individual11 »

Anyone have a mirror to where I can get that driver from motioninjoy? The site has been up and down for the last 48 hours, and I really want to get this thing flying. It's my last step (hopefully).
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

There it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/664 ... signed.exe
Many Tutorials are on YouTube.

PS3 DS3 sixaxis with MotioninJoy driver and CF Client works for me (Win7 (x64) Bluetooth/USB).
individual11
Beginner

Post by individual11 »

That totally worked! Thank you!! Now if the client will remember my controller settings, I could truly be in business :-)
ross123540
Beginner

Post by ross123540 »

Can any one tell me what the buttons/joystich should be?
The left analog:
forward/back = thrust?
left/right = yaw?

The Right analog:
forward/back = pitch?
left/right = Roll?

etc...
Thanks
cracklecrackle
Beginner

Post by cracklecrackle »

I want to set the config of the controller to

left stick back/forward: Thrust +/-
left stick left/right: Yaw +/-

right stick back/forward: Pitch +/-
right stick left/right: Roll +/-

The Problem is that right stick back/forward is not recognized by the Crazyflie PC client, i'm using a original PS3 controller with MotioninJoy. In MotioninJoy / Controller Configuration the right stick back/forward (Y-Rotation) ist working without any problems, do anyone have the same issue?

It would also be nice if there were a possibility to set thrust and yaw trim buttons (for example to let the crazyflie yaw slowly round and round).
Crazyflie Nano 10-DOF
paulwilkinson
Beginner

Post by paulwilkinson »

Has anyone managed to get the right stick working properly with MotionJoy on Windows 7/8 yet? I am using the tilt controls at the moment which I don't think is helping!