motor variants always high (propeller test)

Post here to get support
Timo K
Beginner

motor variants always high (propeller test)

Post by Timo K »

Hi everyone,

I'm having the problem, that I can't really fly one crazyflie. It can take off, but is not stable at all and nearly crashes all the time.
If I'm doing the propeller test in the console on motor has very high motor variance values (up to 60) or change a lot if I repeat the test. The propeller and even the motor are already replaced with new ones, but it keeps happening.
I'm using the lighthouse deck, but it works fine with the other drones (I will change it, test it and let you know if anything changed). I also have a custom made prop guard on it. It weighs only a few grams and the other drones can perform just fine with it, so this shouldn't be an issue either.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can test next or what could be the problem?

I couldn't find the solution for my problem in this forum yet, but I haven't searched a lot. If you know posts, which are related to this or already handled this topic please let me know.

Thank you in advance
Timo
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: motor variants always high (propeller test)

Post by tobias »

It does sound like a propeller vibration issue. First try to fix this and if that doesn't help it could be a IMU issue and then we need to replace your control board.
Timo K
Beginner

Post by Timo K »

Hi Tobias,

I balanced the propeller and now the test works fine, but the crazyflie can't fly, so unfortunately this was not the issue.
I also checked the lighthouse deck and the geometry settings, but they are correct.
So it seems like an IMU problem. Can I check it somehow? For example plotting some values.

Thank you for your reply

Timo
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I assume you have a Crazyflie 2.1? There is a IMU self test during startup but it does not seam to catch all problems and as you have other drones that work well we can pretty surly assume it is a HW problem. Please send us an email with your order number to support@bitcraze.io and we will arrange a replacement board.