Power button not working

Post here to get support
laurenbaddeley
Beginner

Power button not working

Post by laurenbaddeley »

Hi,

I've just received 5 Crazyflie 2.1's for myself and my team to work with. We followed the instructions in the getting-started-with-crazyflie-2-x tutorial. Managed to get them working and hover them with our mobile phones.

However, for 4 out of the 5 drones, it seems that the power button does not work. The push button does not turn the Crazyflie off - we need to unplug the battery for it to turn off.

Is there a way to fix this? Is this a hardware issue that we could send the drones back and get replaced? Or is there a quick fix we could try?

I believe that we might need to use this power button when updating code etc. so I'm not sure how we will do that if the power button does not work.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Power button not working

Post by tobias »

Hi,

I think we already answered you in an email?

We unfortunately uncountered some problem on a batch of our CF2.1, some have a small defect on their power button. Thankfully there is an easy fix for it but it requires some contact cleaning fluid. We used electronic cleaner Isopropanol (common for cleaning 3D printer beds as well) but something similar like WD-40 would work too. You just have to put a drop over the button and press it many times. Sorry about this and if the fix doesn't work contact us and we will arrange replacements.
laurenbaddeley
Beginner

Post by laurenbaddeley »

Hi,

Not me - haven't sent any email! :) Thought I'd try the forum first before emailing :D

Thanks - I'll see if we can get some cleaner and try that.
laurenbaddeley
Beginner

Post by laurenbaddeley »

Hi!

I've tried this fix on 2 out of the 4 Crazyflies so far. For 1, after trying this a few times, this fix seems to have worked (a drop over the button and pressing the on/off button multiple times). After the first clean, the power button appeared to be working but when turned off, a minute later the Crazyflie would turn on by itself. After the second clean, the on/off button seemed to be flickering the lights on/off very rapidly, so I repeated the process a third time and now the button seems to be working fine.

For the second Crazyflie, it appeared that the fix worked first time. However, the self test now fails on the Crazyflie (it worked previously before attempting to clean the on/off button).

In the Getting Started guide it said to look on the forum for self test failures but I haven't seen anything obvious. What is the best way to diagnose this self test failure? Is there documentation on this that someone can point me to? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Lauren
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Hi!

The best way to check out what triggered the self test, is to connect it to the cfclient (with a USB) and look at the console tab read out. Usually the Assert that triggered the failure should be listed there. Here are instruction on how to get to the console tab.

See if you are able to see anything and post it here. If not, probably best to send an email to contact_at_bitcraze.io so we can arrange something.