Crazyflie / PS3 controller problem / exaggerated movements

Post here to get support
omatoasty
Beginner

Crazyflie / PS3 controller problem / exaggerated movements

Post by omatoasty »

Hello community,

I have a question, is it possible to set the PS3 controller insensitive, so I can easily learn to fly the Crazyflie? (better control)
Because currently the crazyflie reacts with extremely big movements and makes it difficult to fly.
it is possible to adjust the joystick less sensitive?

Sincerely yours

Omatoasty

I'm German, sorry for my bad english grammar.
foosel
Expert

Re: Crazyflie / PS3 controller problem / exaggerated movemen

Post by foosel »

It should be possible by just lowering the maximum angles in your PC Client:
cf-ratelimits.png
First set flight mode to advanced, then lower the values for max angle and max yaw angle. You might also want to lower the maximum thrust.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
omatoasty
Beginner

Post by omatoasty »

Thanks, i will try it..
BillyBag2

Post by BillyBag2 »

omatoasty wrote:Thanks, i will try it..
To get better control over the thrust I set the minimum higher and and maximum lower, about 10% or 20% between them. It does varies abit as the battery gets flat, so you may need to adgust again. However in practice it does not last too long after the power first starts to dip.

The direction buttons provide some trim if it consistantly drifts even after repeated correction. However you will always need to provide some manual correction, it can not be trimmed to hover perfectly. Reducing the other values make it a lot easier to control.

(It is common for GUIs to not accept values until the input looses 'focus'. I'm not sure if this GUI does the same, but I 'click off' the edited value out of habit, just in case. ie edit one value and then click on another. )
veeduber

Post by veeduber »

Yeah, I am having a hard time too controlling my flie. I am also using the android client for control, as I don't have a PS controller. I give it thrust, and it usually lifts off & immeadiatly drifts into something that causes it to crash. does anyone have a link to a quick-start kind of tuning exercise?

- Thanks!
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

If you are very close to the floor the turbulence will cause the Crazyflie to behave strangely, so you have to get up at least 20 cm from the floor. Then you will have to manually correct the roll/pitch using smooth motions. The best is to find a large room so you have some space to maneuver around.
veeduber

Post by veeduber »

marcus wrote:If you are very close to the floor the turbulence will cause the Crazyflie to behave strangely, so you have to get up at least 20 cm from the floor. Then you will have to manually correct the roll/pitch using smooth motions. The best is to find a large room so you have some space to maneuver around.
Hmm.. Interesting. I did have better luck taking off from a couch cushion. When I went outside, I had a whole different issue of dealing with it getting too high. Thanks for the response! I am still interested in a guide to tuning if anyone has some resources.

- Thanks!