Cannot connect with Crazyflie

Post here to get support
peterwey
Beginner

Re: Cannot connect with Crazyflie

Post by peterwey »

I have the exact same problem (http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568)
Any update?
ovarba
Beginner

Post by ovarba »

I also had this issue and followed - Shuriken's post...worked perfectly...thanks.
Shuriken wrote:Had the same issue. Found the solution! When you select Connect from the CFpanel and a window shows up and two entries: Radio...and Debug... I just assumed this was just connect log entries and just pushed the connect button in the bottom right. But NO, you have to select/highlight the "radio" line and THEN press the Connect button. All was good after that and the green light came on the copter. Joy, Joy.
brunohppl
Beginner

Post by brunohppl »

Hi, I have a connection problem as well. And when I try to use the bootloader, it says 'it cannot find crazyradio dongle.
Please help!
quoroy
Beginner

Post by quoroy »

Hello all, I've had the same problems described above, I cant manage to connect to the crazyflie, The drivers seem to be installed OK, the crazyflie leds are blinking as they should, I tried on 3 different computers, checked the antena, bootloaded... still cant connect, can anyone give us more options on this please? thanks.
quoroy
Beginner

Post by quoroy »

quoroy wrote:Hello all, I've had the same problems described above, I cant manage to connect to the crazyflie, The drivers seem to be installed OK, the crazyflie leds are blinking as they should, I tried on 3 different computers, checked the antena, bootloaded... still cant connect, can anyone give us more options on this please? thanks.
I now think the problem is with the crazyradio, since the red led doesnt blink when i click "scan". should I try to upgrade the firmware of the crazyradio with the VM? please help.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

quoroy wrote:
quoroy wrote:Hello all, I've had the same problems described above, I cant manage to connect to the crazyflie, The drivers seem to be installed OK, the crazyflie leds are blinking as they should, I tried on 3 different computers, checked the antena, bootloaded... still cant connect, can anyone give us more options on this please? thanks.
I now think the problem is with the crazyradio, since the red led doesnt blink when i click "scan". should I try to upgrade the firmware of the crazyradio with the VM? please help.
Does the LEDs light up when you connect the Crazyradio to the computer but doesn't blink red when you scan? If so then there's an issue with the drivers. What OS's did you try? Did you use USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports? If the red LED lights up when scanning but you find nothing, then there might be an issue with the hardware.

To avoid the driver issue you could try to download the VM and use it to connect to the Crazyflie. When using the VM you will not need any driver on the host OS. Just pass over control of the Crazyradio to the VM like seen in the beginning of this video.
quoroy
Beginner

Post by quoroy »

thanks for your reply, I downloaded the VM like you suggested. I connected the Crazyradio to the vm correctly. The status on About->debug shows that the crazyradio dongle is connected, but when I click scan the red led doesn't blink (but red and green blink when I first plug it, and then go off). I tried on both usb 2.0 and 3.0, on windows 8.1 and windows 7 (both running the VM). Do you have any more suggestions? I havent even assembled it yet cause I cant go through the basic tests. any help will be appreciated, thanks.
quoroy
Beginner

Post by quoroy »

hey there, I have no idea what to do next.
The status of the debug tab is:

Interface status
serial: None
radio: Crazyradio version 0.52
udp: None

but when I click on scan I still dont get the red blinking and cant connect, should I try to see if flashing the crazyradio works?
quoroy
Beginner

Post by quoroy »

Good evening guys, after a few hours of trying, I could finally get it to work.
I'll write an overall of what I did to get it working.
In the end, I used Ubuntu 14.04 on a Live USB on Persistent mode.
I installed the cfclient and dependencies.
I ran cfclient through the terminal.
Same problem as before, the cfclient detected the Crazy radio on the Debug tab but when I clicked scan there was no red blinking and no scaniing.
I flashed the Crazyradio with cradio 0.52.bin.
Ran the cfclient, it detected the Crazyradio but there was a error message on the debug tab saying it didnt have permission to configure it.
Closed all the programs, unplugged the crazyradio, plugged it again, opened cfclient with sudo, checked status in debug tab, it could now detect crazyradio with no problems, scanned and CONNECTED! Im gonna finally assemble it, and start testing how it works.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Great to hear that you got it working. I've added an issue here to improve the error feedback when scanning. If there are any issues (like missing permissions) it will just quietly fail, which it shouldn't.

There's instructions on the wiki on how to add UDEV rules for the Crazyradio so you don't have to run the client with sudo.