Cannot connect with Crazyflie

Post here to get support
Austin
Beginner

Cannot connect with Crazyflie

Post by Austin »

I just got my Crazyflie just a couple of weeks ago. I installed the cfclient for windows and it started up fine. I also installed the driver for the crazyradio. When I press connect or the bootloader buttons, the red light turns on, on the crazyradio. It flashes and runs through its sequence but it never is able to find the crazyflie. I followed the instructions for how to bootload but it never works. I even moving my laptop outside to make sure it wasn't wifi interference. I don't really know what else to test. Any help would be much appreciated!
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Cannot connect with Crazyflie

Post by tobias »

The radio is always difficult to debug as it can be many things and you are pretty much blind. The Crazyradio blinking red is a good sign so the driver is probably working otherwise that is the most common problem. I've seen a case with a broken duck antenna. You don't happen to have another 2.4Ghz antenna you could try with? Have you assembled the Crazyflie? Try running it from the battery only and see if that helps, if you haven't already done that.
Austin
Beginner

Post by Austin »

Thanks for the information. I assembled the crazyflie as described on the wiki and I have been running it on the battery. I am out of town for a week but when I get back I will be testing the radio with an oscilloscope. That should show me if it is a problem with the radio or the receiver on the crazyflie. I'll post here when I have more results. Thanks!
Shuriken
Beginner

Post by Shuriken »

Had the same issue. Found the solution! When you select Connect from the CFpanel and a window shows up and two entries: Radio...and Debug... I just assumed this was just connect log entries and just pushed the connect button in the bottom right. But NO, you have to select/highlight the "radio" line and THEN press the Connect button. All was good after that and the green light came on the copter. Joy, Joy.
Austin
Beginner

Post by Austin »

When I press the connect button. I don't see the Radio dialog. All I see is one line, debug://0/0 - Debugdriver for UI testing. This happens and yes, the Crazyflie is turned on. I have connected an oscilloscope to my crazyradio and I am able to confirm that data is being transmitted. There is a difference when the radio is turned off and when it is transmitting using the bootloader option. So I believe I can rule out that the problem is with the radio. Now I want to test the Crazyflie to make sure it is receiving data. Not really sure how to test that without using the JTag.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

We have had a few reports about corrupted firmware on the Crazyflie and this might be the issue. The way to fix that is to connect using the bootloader and re-flash the firmware.

When you power in the Crazyflie can you see the LEDs blinking? Even if they do could you try to connect to the Crazyflie bootloader using the sequence described here?
Austin
Beginner

Post by Austin »

The lights on the crazyflie run correctly. After turning it on, the green light flashes 5 times and then the red led blinks. The blue light is constant. I have tried to find the crazyflie using the bootloader sequence but with no success. I followed it as described in your post. I press the "Initiate bootloader cold boot" button, I then turn on the crazyflie, the red led blinks on the crazyradio, and then it says, "Connection timeout" The command window says "INFO: cfclient.ui.dialogs.bootloader:Connected in coldboot mode failed." Maybe the crazyflie has a corrupted firmware that won't let it connect even with the bootloader?

Also, the radiodriver is current v0.52
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The radio on the Crazyflie and Crazyradio has been tested during production so at one point it has at leased worked, but something could have happened during shipping or similar. The Crazyflie firmware seem to work as expected so then we are down to a HW problem or the Crazyradio driver not working as supposed to. As a last thing to test I would test the Crazyradio in another computer, if you have that option. If it doesn't work there you should contact Seeedstudio support so they can fix or replace it.
Austin
Beginner

Post by Austin »

I have tested the crazyradio on multiple computers with the virtual environment as well as by using the windows package. I will contact Seeedstudio support and hopefully get this resolved. Thanks for the help!
erumine
Beginner

Post by erumine »

I have the same problem, did you find out how to remedy it?