Crazyflie1.0 connects infinitely long after a firmware update

Post here to get support
savva
Beginner

Crazyflie1.0 connects infinitely long after a firmware update

Post by savva »

Ahoy!

I inherited a number of crazyflies V1.0 recently from one of the research labs in my university.
The flies already had firmware on them, yet I do not know what it was. I reprogrammed crazyradio as explained here: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyradio-firmware
I was then able to scan, find the drone, and connect to it.
I then put the drone into firmware mode and uploaded cf1-2017.06.bin that I got from github, following instructions from here (Firmware Update and Firmware Configuration): https://wiki.bitcraze.io/doc:crazyflie: ... ient:index
After that I restarted the drone; when scanning for devices, the drone pops up. When I hit connect, the GUI says that it's connecting to the radio, but it never actually connects (it just states that it's "connecting to radio"). Interestingly, at this point I can control the drone with the joystick; but I don't get any Flight Data back.
Screenshot of gui:
Screenshot from 2020-03-16 19-35-19.png
Screenshot of terminal while it connects indefinitely:
Screenshot from 2020-03-16 19-40-49.png
Screenshot of terminal after I hit cancel in indefinite connection:
Screenshot from 2020-03-16 19-41-01.png
More info:
I am still able to put the drone into bootloader mode.
I tried the above on 2 different drones. I tried the above on cfclient installed in ubuntu natively, and in the virtual machine provided by you folks - same problem.

-----
There is one more thing I am curious about; I am never able to specify the assist mode in basic flight control (it's unselectable); I am also unable to check the assisted control and Killswitch boxes in the Input device configuration window.

Please help!:)
Cheers,
Savva
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie1.0 connects infinitely long after a firmware update

Post by kristoffer »

Hi!

Which version of the client/python-lib are you using? I'm not sure anyone has tested the client and python lib with a Crazyflie 1.0 for a long time, I don't know if it is compatible any more. We dropped Crazyflie 1.0 support in the firmware mid 2017 and the it is likely that the client stopped working with the 1.0 at some point after that. One way forward for you could be to try older versions, https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-c ... ag/2017.06 should work as far as I know.
I am never able to specify the assist mode in basic flight control (it's unselectable); I am also unable to check the assisted control and Killswitch boxes in the Input device configuration window.
I'm not sure how the assisted control will behave with a CF 1.0. It is mainly intended for the Z-ranger and flow decks used with the CF 2.X.
savva
Beginner

Post by savva »

Hello Christopher! Just reinstalled cfclient to the 2017.6 version. I am still having the same issue. As for assist modes - it appears that they are crazyflie-firmware specific, so that's no longer an issue.

i am having the same issue as before: a crazyflie would be found during a scan, connect to the crazyflie, the terminal says that it's connected to the the drone, but then no info is received. Here is a screenshot with a crazyflie with 2017.6:
Screenshot from 2020-03-18 22-50-41.png
here is a screenshot from a crazyflie with software unkown to me, but the one that works (like I said, I inherited the creazyflies):
Screenshot from 2020-03-18 22-53-18.png
Is there a way to check what firmware is on the second crazyflie? Although I bet that it's custom...
What am I doing wrong? What should I try?
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Hmm this is indeed a strange issue... Currently we don't have a crazyflie 1.0 at our disposal since we are working from home. I'll throw this in the group with bitcraze veterans to asks what might be the problem.

In the mean time, could you also downgrade the cflib to one from 2017 ? (I think you can do it as pip/pip3 install --upgrade cflib==0.1.3)
savva
Beginner

Post by savva »

Kimberly,

updating cflib did the job!! Thank you so much for your help:) Stay safe.