[SOLVED] Crazyflie tilts to M4 side when taking off

Post here to get support
yoozername
Beginner

[SOLVED] Crazyflie tilts to M4 side when taking off

Post by yoozername »

Hi all,

I looked through every post but didn't see anything that matches my problem.

When I try to take off, one side of the CF doesn't lift as much as the other sides, so it tilts, then flies fast in that direction. I haven't been able to get it to lift vertically at all.

I checked:

- that the motor on the side that doesn't lift properly is free of hair, dirt etc
- that the propeller on that motor is good and fitted in the right direction (CW/CCW). I also changed the propeller, no difference
- that the motor bearing is not depressed
- that the propeller is not rubbing against anything
- that the propeller spins freely
- that the weight of the battery is centred (I've tried several positions)

I also played with the controls on the CF program, but it made no significant difference.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? I don't want to replace the motor in case it's something simpler to fix...

Last edited by yoozername on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yoozername
Beginner

Re: Crazyflie tilts to one side when taking off, so I can't

Post by yoozername »

I've noticed that when I spin up all the motors for just a moment, that particular motor (M4) is the first to stop after the power is released.

So, I'm in the middle of replacing M4, it's kind of tricky, as the solder closed the holes back up after I removed the wires, so now I have to heat the connection on one side and try to poke the wires back in from the other. Which, while absent-mindedly picking up a hot soldering iron by the metal shaft (just like you'd pick up a pencil), instantly becomes an extremely painful exercise. :o
yoozername
Beginner

Re: Crazyflie tilts to one side when taking off, so I can't

Post by yoozername »

ok, so I replaced M4. Spun it up, still the same......

This propeller stops before all the others, though I have replaced both the motor and the prop. And that's the direction the CF flies in (it's the last leg to leave the ground). I updated the firmware, and set the roll trim all the way up to 20, minor difference. So when I give it some juice it flies off at about 45 degrees, and keeps going and going until it hits something...

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong?
foosel
Expert

Re: Crazyflie tilts to M4 side when taking off, so I can't f

Post by foosel »

Hm.. that's a long shot, but have you taken a look at the output in the Console tab in the Crazyflie PC Client? Is there something failing there? I had a similar issue when one of my gyros failed, motors still spun up but completely out of balance into one direction, but on the other hand after a power cycle the firmware detected that something was off, soo...

Other than that, I honestly have no idea right now.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
yoozername
Beginner

Post by yoozername »

For some reason, the console tab and toolbox are always empty? Should it show logging from the CF?
yoozername
Beginner

Post by yoozername »

My console never shows any data at all, but I just noticed that if I set the minimum thrust to 0, and give it anywhere up to 15-16%, all of the motors except M4 spin.

So it seems to me that this motor isn't getting enough power. This is the second motor I've had in that position, so I assume it can't be 2 bad motors. If not that, then what can it be? Power leaking somewhere on the board?
yoozername
Beginner

Post by yoozername »

I manually set up the mappings for my controller (Ouya) and now it's working :)
shreks7
Beginner

Re: [SOLVED] Crazyflie tilts to M4 side when taking off

Post by shreks7 »

I have the same issue, can you tell me how did you solve this ?

I adjusted the mapping , but still it flies in one direction only. M4 motor starts after a bit and stops before the others.
marco.tognon

Post by marco.tognon »

I have the same behavior. But In my case I don't think it is a problem of the ontroller because i'm using my own code where i send exactly the commands. I think it could be a problem of the IMU that is not perfect calibrated.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Can you check that M4s propeller isn't pressed down on the motor causing a friction?