[SOLVED] Crazyflie tilts to M4 side when taking off

Post here to get support
marco.tognon

Re: [SOLVED] Crazyflie tilts to M4 side when taking off

Post by marco.tognon »

In my case th M4 is equal as the others! Trying to uderstand what is the thrust value for the hovering i keep the cf suspended with a thread and then i increas the thrust step by step until it stats to hover. During this easy test the cf drifts a lot of. I tried to correct using a trim on the roll and pitch but it doesen't work!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The ground effect when flying close to the ground can sometimes do strange thing. What if you "shoot" the Crazyflie in the air by applying a lot of trust. Does it go strait up or drift to a side?
marco.tognon

Post by marco.tognon »

I avoided the ground effects keeping the cf suspended on the air with a thread:
cf suspended on the air with a thread
cf suspended on the air with a thread
peterbb
Beginner

Post by peterbb »

I had a similar issue when I originally tried to fly my Crazyflie with Droidmote, and solved it by switching to a physical controller. No idea it if this is connected to OP's problem, but I thought it might be useful for someone.
ika
Beginner

Re: Crazyflie tilts to M4 side when taking off

Post by ika »

I may have this same issue. In my case the thrust is so much on one side that the
CF immediately flips over as it is trying to take off. I will do a bit more troubleshooting
here myself and will post more details. I need to recheck that I put the correct propellers
in each motor, check the soldering, try changing the Radio channel etc.

I am using the VM in VirtualBox running in Linux Mint on a Dell laptop, with PS3 controller
attached. I have experimented with the CF held in my hand and all the motors seem to
be responding when I increase thrust from the PS3 controller.

I will do more experimenting & troubleshooting and will update this thread in a couple of days.

In the meanwhile, is there a specific reason why the battery is mounted on the top of
the PC board? If it was on the bottom side (especially if mounted with perhaps a bit of
foam in between the PCB and battery), the CF would have more inherent static stability.

-ilkka